Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sam21

#71: Post by Sam21 »

Does anyone have a recommendation or a basic CCD method to follow with the LIDO? I have seen 2 turns CCW as a grind setting, but am wondering about timing for the actual brewing. I received a CCD the other day and would love just a basic starting point to then experiment from. Thanks!

fredk01

#72: Post by fredk01 »

Oops. In my excitement I posted in the wrong OE thread.

benm5678

#73: Post by benm5678 »

LIDO joins the Mazzer family today :)
It feels of the same 'tank' quality. Love the way it grinds... very smooth... super easy to set. Made an awesome cup with it first try... can't wait to play more. Great job OE!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#74: Post by jbviau »

Sam21 wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation or a basic CCD method to follow with the LIDO? I have seen 2 turns CCW as a grind setting, but am wondering about timing for the actual brewing. I received a CCD the other day and would love just a basic starting point to then experiment from. Thanks!
Here's the recipe I used just now with the Clever:

20 g. coffee (ground at 2 turns CCW)
300 g. water
3:30 brew time
1:00 "draw down" time (stopped prematurely because I'd grabbed a too-small mug, though it was almost done)

No stirring. Poured half of the water to begin with and added the rest halfway through. Great cup!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#75: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Sam21 wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation or a basic CCD method to follow with the LIDO? I have seen 2 turns CCW as a grind setting, but am wondering about timing for the actual brewing. I received a CCD the other day and would love just a basic starting point to then experiment from. Thanks!
Sam! Brewmethods.com has lots of great detailed brew methods.
LMWDP #371

penrod

#76: Post by penrod »

Bob_McBob wrote:I've been thoroughly enjoying using the new Lido at work. It takes about 40 seconds to grind my usual 18.3g dose for a V60 at 7/8 from the zero, or 60 seconds at a leisurely pace. There is no retention to speak of, and static hasn't been an issue.

I think I would be sorely tempted to try a Pharos if it had such a straightforward grind adjustment system.
Funny at work yesterday, I was grinding an afternoon cup with the LIDO when a co-worker walked by and said something to the effect of 'Whoa! I was just looking at that online and I never thought I would see one here. Is that what I think it is, and do you like it.' My Coworker had an electric kettle he was filling so I was like yeah its a LIDO offered it for use if he was making coffee. He was, used the LIDO, and I think the one test grind convinced him to buy one.

At this point my only complaint is that the weight underneath my hand from the length of the LIDO feels different than what I am use to when grinding with the kyocera. I know small but I notice it every time I grind.

drgary
Team HB

#77: Post by drgary »

penrod wrote:At this point my only complaint is that the weight underneath my hand from the length of the LIDO feels different than what I am use to when grinding with the kyocera. I know small but I notice it every time I grind.
This morning I think I found Zen with the LIDO. Try the bicycle style of grinding while resting the bottom on your belly. I've got the handle at the longer setting.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

voodoodaddy

#78: Post by voodoodaddy »

Thanks Doug! I camp about 8 times a year and not to mention the numerous shooting matches I travel for, so I need to conserve space as much as possible, leaving the handle on would be a no no for me, I'll be used for pour over, Aero and Moka throughout the day, this will make a great addition to my setup!

As for my workshop goes, nothing fancy, just a POS lathe and a small mill plus lots of time and elbow grease :wink:

Thanks again for another great grinder!!

Will

Sam21

#79: Post by Sam21 »

I really like using a traditional bicycle grinding motion. I tried holding it against my body, but liked holding it away from body a bit more. It's such a smooth grinding action.

I just made my first CCD ever using the LIDO. 2 turns CCW. 20g/300ml.

I bloomed for 30 seconds and then poured the rest of the water. Total steep time including bloom was 4 minutes. I stirred the surface at 3 minutes, but most of the coffee had already sunk by that point, so I may move the stir to 2 minutes. My drawdown took about 45-60 seconds.

The resulting cup had a very sweet aroma and displayed the brightness of a paper filtered pour over. The cup had nice body and great complexity. It still felt that it could be extracted a bit more fully, so I will tighten the grind ever so slightly next time. Somewhere between 1.75 and 2 CCW perhaps.

Overall, a really great first experience and ANOTHER great travel partner for the LIDO!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#80: Post by jbviau »

Anyone have cichlids at home? If so, you probably also have a (plastic) replacement catch jar handy... :twisted:

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias