Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 39

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#381: Post by orphanespresso »

Jbviau is correct (and observant as well). Over the course of the LIDO project I have slowly and quietly mastered the build process to the point of being able to tweak the build and alignment to a very close setting to get the grinder to perform well into a verifiable Turkish range as well as a good fat espresso range. This has not taken anything away from the coarse end of the grind, just stretched out the overall range of the setting (which have always been a bit of a thumbnail guide, though Barb did just update the manual.

Knowing that Samuelaw was the new owner, I spent some extra time making triple sure that the alignment was at 125%....he can observe some things almost like he has X-ray vision :!: . He helped us make the Pharos better (whilst driving us crazy in the process :) ), so we wanted his LIDO to be super duper as a gesture of fond remembrance and international good will. We just hope that if/when he takes it apart that he can get it back together again!

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#382: Post by samuellaw178 »

jbviau wrote:Sweet! How did the shots taste?
Up until this point it's still not very good yet, but very promising. And certainly it's not the grinder nor the machine, it's me. I will continue tomorrow as it's very different when you're staying with the gf and her family, as compared to staying yourself in the apartment. Can't spend whole day geeking over your new machine. :P
orphanespresso wrote: This has not taken anything away from the coarse end of the grind, just stretched out the overall range of the setting (which have always been a bit of a thumbnail guide, though Barb did just update the manual.
So that's what happened! This is gonna make me love my Lido even more then! I heard that previously a small adjustment in the wing nut will result in quite a significant change in the flow rate, which was why I was being so careful in loosening the grind (a bit at a time) to avoid going into the gusher zone. Ended up I was just being overly meticulous!
orphanespresso wrote:Knowing that Samuelaw was the new owner, I spent some extra time making triple sure that the alignment was at 125%....he can observe some things almost like he has X-ray vision . He helped us make the Pharos better (whilst driving us crazy in the process ), so we wanted his LIDO to be super duper as a gesture of fond remembrance and international good will. We just hope that if/when he takes it apart that he can get it back together again!
Haha. No wonder. This Lido's alignment is perfect out of the box, may be even more than perfect if that's possible! No fault that I can find of up until this moment. The only hiccup was probably that I was wondering was it me or the 2 turn for French Press according to the manual and forum is a bit finer that I expected. :P And definitely, I will try to avoid disassembling my lovely Lido! I can never match Doug's alignment technique that he has brushed up over what, 300+ of LIDI? (and I believe soon it will be four digits!)

On a side note, if you look into the caravel picture, there is the A-Leva espresso cup I gotten from you guys (OE). Still loving every bit of it! And it felt so amazing(for the lack of a better descriptor) to have it brought back from the US in my luggage and now using it. It's almost seems like it is all destined :D Oh, and that tamper too - Born in US, brought into UK and now ended up in Malaysia!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#383: Post by jbviau »

orphanespresso wrote:Jbviau is correct (and observant as well).
Aww, shucks! ;) IIRC Sam21 first made me aware of the change though.

I'll say this: I like the way my recently tweaked LIDO performs enough that I've been using it exclusively while its un-tuned-up brother rides the shelf downstairs (for now, at least).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Sam21

#384: Post by Sam21 »

That grind tightness does loosen slightly as the grinder breaks in. After my tune-up a couple months ago, my grind slowly went coarser. Mine has settled nicely into a 1/4 turn coarser and it grinds beautifully.

Something to note about maintenance and cleaning that I have found... the LIDO retains next to nothing on the burr that can't just be blown away. I had removed my inner burr a couple times for cleaning only to find it perfectly clean. Now, I just lower the burr as far as it will go, blow and shake a bit, and that is it. I've also used a long thin brush to go down into the hopper, but that was a bit much.

When my Baratza has passed away (hopefully in many many years), my LIDO will be taking up its rightful place on the kitchen counter in its place!

scareyourpasenger

#385: Post by scareyourpasenger »

The lido is the near perfect mobile grinder. My only gripe is that larger beans refuse to feed into the burrs without tons of shaking of the grinder. Has anyone figured out a better solution as of yet?

mwright

#386: Post by mwright »

Any suggestions on contacting The people at Orphan Espresso. I placed an order for a Lido last Monday and it has not shipped yet. I have sent about 6 emails but none have been returned. I have tried calling several times. I got someone on the phone once on Thursday who said my order would probably ship out that night because they have been gone all week but it still has not shipped.

Phasor

#387: Post by Phasor »

Hi Matt,

About contacting Orphan Espresso...my experience with ordering from their website (a Pharos, a LIDO, a 49 mm tamper and some seals in three different orders) has been incredibly smooth. I've also called them twice to discuss a vintage espresso machine that I bought (Doug helped me for almost an hour even though I hadn't bought the machine from them). In other words, the folks are great. However, "Orphan Espresso" is really just a couple, Doug and Barb Garrott.
The fact that the two of them are running the company all by themselves makes for excellent prices, awesome service when they are available, and great quality control on builds, but it makes them extremely busy. I'd suggest that if the grinder hasn't shipped by mid next week, to try giving them another call. It took me a number of times to get through to them (time zone difference and the fact that there are only two people to run the whole show), but they are great to work with.
I hope this helps,
Jamie

mwright

#388: Post by mwright »

Thanks. I have heard nothing but great things. I was just wondering if maybe if there was a better method to get in touch. I was just getting a little concerned when the message on the web site mentioned they usually ship within 2 days.

Thanks

Phasor

#389: Post by Phasor »

Hey again, Matt. I had a bit of an unusual order last time (was returning an item for exchange and ordering other items at the same time, and wanted the exchanged item to ship together with the new items). I called OE to ask about what to do, and while I was talking to them, I asked what the best way to get in contact with them would be, and they said telephone. Apparently, they get reams of emails and internet form submissions, so many that a "new" contact can get buried in many, many "newer" ones in the run of a day or two. I'd definitely recommend calling them (being mindful of the time zone difference, of course).

I hope the shipment goes out soon, and enjoy your LIDO...I certainly enjoy mine.

mwright

#390: Post by mwright »

Thanks