Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 34

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sam21

#331: Post by Sam21 »

daeji5 wrote:i think this is what's going on. there's no way the burr is not moving. unless the threads on the handle end somehow got stripped, which i don't see happening very easily either.
I thought about it some more after grinding up a pourover at work. It would be very difficult for the burr to slip - meaning, a lot would have to go wrong. When the beans stop feeding on my LIDO, it definitely feels like it just stops grinding as you lose tension on the handle and it just keeps spinning. I don't encounter this a lot as I grind with a two hand bicycle motion that agitates the beans. Next time you feel it stop grinding, remove the catch cup and turn the handle while examining the inner burr from below. That will help you determine if it is truly not moving.

bmb

#332: Post by bmb »

I tried contacting OE over their site mail and it didn't work.
I also tried sending the following email by PM however, even while informing that the email was sent, it is not leaving my HB Outbox folder.

This is the message I'm trying to send to OE, and would be quite grateful if someone could forward it to them:

"Dear Barb and Doug,

I had the pleasure to buy Lido #49 from you, and wanted to tell you that I really like it.
Please accept my congratulations for developing such a good grinder.

Here comes my problem: I had been grinding with the Lido, for drip and espresso with very good results.
Since I tried grinding a batch of clear roasted (hard) beans for espresso (CCW 1/4 turn), that demanded more force than normal, the handle began to slip (the handle turns but the burr gets stuck) making it very difficult, from there on, to grind any bean for espresso.
The same beans are very easy to grind for drip or Aero Press (CCW 1 and 3/4 turns), no slipping at all.

I also noted that, initially it took about 55 to 65 (quite light) turns to grind 18gr for espresso, now it takes less: about 40 (and heavier) turns.
Darker beans are obviuosly softer and much easier to grind.

Anyway, after looking at your video I tried to fix it by thightening the star rigged bolt.
It helped, but not completely as I was worried not to force it and break it, or deform too much the washer.

As I saw a redish "paint" on the threads, I though the bolt might be "soldered" with Loctite or something of the kind ...

I would really appreciate if you could give an orientation on how to fix it.

Best wishes,

Bernardo M. Brummer"

This is the whole story.

Any ideas ?

Advertisement
daeji5

#333: Post by daeji5 »

As my friend Sam21 always told me, "call them." :D

Sam21

#334: Post by Sam21 replying to daeji5 »

+1. They are great people and will do all they can to help you. Doug knows the LIDO inside and out and is great with working through quirks. If you look back a few pages you will see that I tinkered a bit too much with mine and messed up the loctited bolt caps. In addition, Doug wanted to see how the LIDOs were holding up in the "field." Give them a call and they will get you back up and grinding as expected quickly! I believe they list their times on the website.

dcupstateNY

#335: Post by dcupstateNY »

Just an FYI ...

Doug & Barb have posted another, detailed, alignment video on YouTube. Check it out!
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

Sam21

#336: Post by Sam21 replying to dcupstateNY »

That video is exactly what the LIDO masses needs for home maintenance. Great information and techniques delivered in the simplest terms using tools that everyone has. Thanks for the heads up!

bmb

#337: Post by bmb »

Thank you guys !
I posted it again to "fixit@orphanespresso.com" and hope they will get it.
I won't disturb them on the weekend therefore, if I don't get a reply sooner, I'll call them next week.
It takes a little more time, care and effort but I'm still able to grind darker roasts for espresso.
This morning I managed to grind a lovely single of a Kenia Kiawamururu AB Espresso, that was comming out too bland with the Macap (maybe too fine ...), almost all notes were there (I only couldn't find the marzipan and fresh cherries, the rest was there).
Great little grinder :-)

Advertisement
bmb

#338: Post by bmb »

Barb & Doug are WONDERFULL !

It's so gratifying to be able to communicate with real, caring people, instead of faceless and cold "enterprises".

"Hello Bernardo, it appears you've diagnosed the weakness in the early manufacture of the Lido. As you see there is no milled key in the shaft to prevent what you describe from happening. #49 is a fairly early build, and to solve this issue we are mounting the burrs using a different loctite, an alignment jig, and an impact driver so they will not slip with hard beans. If it would be conveninent to you, you could send us the inner burr on the axle, and we'll fix it for you. Our address:
Orphan Espresso ... "

I'm quite confident my Lido will be working better than ever in no time.

Thank you all for your kind support !

Sam21

#339: Post by Sam21 replying to bmb »

Amazing. This is the same exact response I received when I had my small issues. They stand behind their grinders and will do anything in their power to help. It has put any potential worries for me to bed, knowing that Doug and Barb stand so confidently behind their product. These types of experiences also help all of us (LIDO users) to better understand the inner workings of these grinders.

Thanks for posting!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#340: Post by jbviau »

bmb wrote:"Hello Bernardo, it appears you've diagnosed the weakness in the early manufacture of the Lido...
So the burr *was* slipping?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias