Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 33

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
allon

#321: Post by allon »

Does the graef use a pressurized portafilter?
LMWDP #331

bmb

#322: Post by bmb »

Sorry, I haven't updated my signature lately ...

Over a month ago I bought a Bezzera Strega, that is since my main espresso machine.

And no: although the Graef comes also with a pressurized set I only used it with normal filters.

The Lido worked well with the Graef, but the Strega has a lot more "punch" and requires finer grinding.

Advertisement
bmb

#323: Post by bmb »

Managed to brew a good Red Brick 10gr single, grinding with the MACAP M4 (58mm burr and 250W).
I had to go down from 14 - 13 points (my normal setting for 16-17gr doubles) to 9 ; the finest I had to grind till today was 11.
That's a lot, considering that each point should represent a 5 seconds difference.

bmb

#324: Post by bmb »

I finally arrived to set the Lido, for espresso, at about the same grind size as the Macap.
The coffee flow is about the same, the taste a little more acid. I'm using the Lido for the darker roast.
I have to grind slowly, and using few beans at the time to control slipping (burr stops but handle keeps turning).
Any hints on how to fix this ?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#325: Post by jbviau »

I've never experienced slipping. Have you contacted OE?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Sam21

#326: Post by Sam21 »

That is a new one to me. I've never heard of a burr on the LIDO slipping and not turning. Contact OE.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#327: Post by cannonfodder »

That is very odd. I used the Lido and Pharos extensively in the Array/forums/hand-grinder-roadshow-t22223.html. I never had an issue with the handle spinning on the Lido. I had it stop feeding beans into the burrs many times and detailed that but the handle never came loose. The Pharos however did have the grind adjustment slip many times mid grind which is very frustrating.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
Sam21

#328: Post by Sam21 »

Are you sure that the inner burr stops moving? My first thought was that the beans are just stopping their downward movement into the burrs. This does happen with certain beans more than others. Many others have experienced this as well.

Bob_McBob

#329: Post by Bob_McBob »

bmb wrote:I have to grind slowly, and using few beans at the time to control slipping (burr stops but handle keeps turning).
How would that even happen? The inner burr is bolted to the shaft, isn't it?
Chris

daeji5

#330: Post by daeji5 »

Sam21 wrote:Are you sure that the inner burr stops moving? My first thought was that the beans are just stopping their downward movement into the burrs. This does happen with certain beans more than others. Many others have experienced this as well.
i think this is what's going on. there's no way the burr is not moving. unless the threads on the handle end somehow got stripped, which i don't see happening very easily either.