Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 23

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#221: Post by jbviau »

Sam21 wrote:The LIDO is a really convenient grinder for the office and allows me to enjoy great coffee at work whenever I want...
Just curious: while at work, do you not find it a little messy? My LIDO hasn't left the house yet, which is why I ask. I'm in the habit of brushing off its underside over the kitchen sink. In an office setting, maybe I'd use a trash can instead.

Unrelated: in case anyone was unsure, the glass catch jar is dishwasher-safe (in my experience).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Sam21

#222: Post by Sam21 replying to jbviau »

After a week and a half of use in my office, I have found it very pleasant to use. I give it a quick shake after grinding to loosen any immediate dust/chaff. I leave the remaining clinging material on the grinder when i remove the jar. Then I give it a quick blow/shake/brush over the garbage and it's good to go. I've made some wonderful CCDs in the office with it and am really happy with it in this arena.

allon

#223: Post by allon »

Light roasts will come out very cleanly with minimal residue.
Dark roasts will leave static-y bits all over the jar and adjustment mechanism.

This might explain differing experience.
LMWDP #331

Sam21

#224: Post by Sam21 replying to allon »

I am grinding roasts in the City+ to Full City range. I hardly ever have a bean in there that has gone into second crack.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#225: Post by jbviau »

^^^ +1. I've found it's not so much roast as it is grind that makes a difference re: "mess." Coarser grinds allow more chaff through. A finer grind, e.g. 1 turn CCW from zero, is often neater.

Sam21

#226: Post by Sam21 »

I just did a thorough cleaning of my LIDO and am noticing that my zero is now a quarter turn finer.

Every now and then, I remove the inner burr by taking off the adjustment bar for a thorough cleaning. My regular routine is to just brush and blow fines away from the burrs and that works quite well. Over the past 2-3 weeks, I have been using my LIDO a lot more than usual as it now resides in my office. I have noticed that the rub at my zero was getting quieter and quieter. After this cleaning, the rub was simply not there, so I set the LIDO at -25 and got a nice rubbing sound with only a tiny bit of friction (Not enough to lock up the burr, just a decent rub). It would seem as though my zero has been settling finer bit by bit, but this cleaning and adjustment bar removal settled the zero into a quarter turn finer.

Has anyone experienced a similar settling? I likely will not move the gold washer since I know exactly where the zero is. For all you regular LIDO users (I am just becoming an everyday user), what have your experiences been with this?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#227: Post by jbviau »

Yup, my zero is at 1/4 turn CW from where it began. Seems to have stabilized there, though I know a few others posting in this thread have experienced a little more settling. Doug @ OE commented on the issue back on p. 18. I haven't bothered to move the brass washer.

Sam21

#228: Post by Sam21 replying to jbviau »

I doubt I will move it either. My zero is kind of in between the original zero and a -1/4, but I'm sure it will settle a little further so that -1/4 becomes the true zero. I first noticed the change when I began needing a finer grind to get good extractions in my clever. It was at that point that I noticed the rub at 0 becoming faint and then after today's burr removal cleaning, the rub was completely gone at the original zero.

Ah well, I guess my LIDO is finally being broken in!

scareyourpasenger

#229: Post by scareyourpasenger »

Mine has moved a whole 1/2 turn after some use and a finicky alignment. The Pharos is easier to align down to 1/8 compared to the lido.

Sam21

#230: Post by Sam21 »

After another cleaning, my zero has returned to the brass washer. It may have had to do with the tightness of the nuts that bolt down the adjustment bar. I repeated the removal and reassembly of just the adjustment bar to see if there was any variation to the zero and it remained constant. I made sure the nuts were nice and tight (without over tightening then).

It's very interesting. In the end, I think it matters less where the zero is down to the 1/8-1/4 turn, because I still know how far out from the brass washer I need for a certain grind. I'm still using 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 for my clever. That really hasn't changed a whole lot. Gives me a nice minute on the drawdown.