Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SimonPatrice

#211: Post by SimonPatrice »

I just received #074 today! I put in some test beans, put it at 2 turns and started grinding. The grind was very uneven, part of the beans were partly crushed and wouldn't get out of the burrs. I freaked out, fiddled with it a bit, eventually got all the beans fragments out, changed settings up and down a couple of times and tried again. Success!!!! I'm not too sure what I had done wrong. Maybe the wing not wasn't tight enough or maybe it was something else. So I tried my first cup tonight. Some Rwanda Rutsiro from Handsome Roasters. 2 turns, 20g. coffee/333g. water, 4 minute steep in an Eva Solo and it was really good. No bitterness whatsoever, nice fruit, defined taste. A step up from my vintage Peugeot mill which was already doing a fair job. I cannot wait to try another coffee tomorrow morning.

Big thanks to Orphan Espresso!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Sam21

#212: Post by Sam21 »

Hello fellow LIDO users,

I have been using my LIDO solely with my aeropress and CCD. In the coming days, I will be bringing my LIDO to the office and pairing it with my CCD as well as a Kalita Wave. I tend to grind around 1 3/8s turns from zero for my aeropress (1 min steep, 45 second plunge) and 1 5/8s for my CCD.

I am looking forward to using the LIDO with my Kalita Wave (will arrive on Monday), which will require a standard drip grind and am wondering if any other users have experimented with using the LIDO for pour over grinds. My guess is I will start at about 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 turns to start, but am interested to here what others have found.

MSH

#213: Post by MSH »

Sam21 wrote:Hello fellow LIDO users,
I have been using my LIDO solely with my aeropress and CCD. In the coming days, I will be bringing my LIDO to the office and pairing it with my CCD as well as a Kalita Wave. I tend to grind around 1 3/8s turns from zero for my aeropress (1 min steep, 45 second plunge) and 1 5/8s for my CCD.

I am looking forward to using the LIDO with my Kalita Wave (will arrive on Monday), which will require a standard drip grind and am wondering if any other users have experimented with using the LIDO for pour over grinds. My guess is I will start at about 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 turns to start, but am interested to here what others have found.
I don't have the Kalita (yet!) but have watched some of Nick Cho's demo videos and done some research on them and it seems that a medium course grind is the norm; ideally shooting for a 3:30 brew time (including 30 sec pre-infusion). I bet you are right in the ballpark with the 1 3/8 to hit medium course. If it were me I would start at 1 1/2 and go from there

For my V60 pourovers I use a fine grind at +/- .75 turns to nail a 2:25-2:30 brew time with 45 sec pre-infusion. 26g/415g H20. I pretty much follow the parameters Jesse Raub (Wholesale Educator at Intelligentsia) outlines on his blog bitterpress.com. I tried a bunch of different methods with the V60 but have taken a liking to his technique. Take a look at this post where he speaks to the Kalita wave and his findings. Some great info there and on his blog in general --> http://bitterpress.com/post/16522238597 ... extraction

I'm grinding exactly the same # of turns as you for CCD but way finer with Aeropress --> +/- 5/8 turns for me. Although I've moved back to paper filters from Able Disk (at least until my Able fine arrives from Prima in July) and away from inverted after starting to use Heart Roasters technique/recipe (it's now on their new website) after picking up some bags of coffee from them and having an email exchange with the owner (Wille). I was asking how fine they were grinding at the coffee bar in Portland on their Ditting and he indicated 4-4.5 (so approx 400-450 micron) which is just a tad more course than espresso range.

Anyway, good luck with the Kalita and the Lido. Interested to hear your thoughts once you are able to give it a go.

darrensandford

#214: Post by darrensandford »

067 successfully navigated the Atlantic and arrived on Friday.

It feels extremely solid, and I love the detail on the handle.

Set it to 1 turn from zero and paired it with the Kalita Wave and my Cona. The results are exceptional, far above what I was getting from my Major.

Thanks again Doug!

SimonPatrice

#215: Post by SimonPatrice »

While we're at it, any idea what the ideal setting would be for an old Melitta cone? The brown ones with one hole. Thanks!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

drgary
Team HB

#216: Post by drgary »

You may want to drill some extra holes in the bottom for faster drainage. To allow steeping, DJR showed me how he turned a ceramic cone into something like a Clever Dripper by sourcing small rubber corks that seal the holes at the bottom and attaching wires to these to remove them and allow the coffee to pour through. He uses a number 6 cone for that purpose.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SimonPatrice

#217: Post by SimonPatrice »

Thanks for the ideas. Would you also have an idea of what the grind setting should be on the Lido to accommodate such a cone?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

SimonPatrice

#218: Post by SimonPatrice »

Ok, I think I just answered my own question. I tried at 1.5 turns to brew Verve's Worka tonight. I thought it might be too coarse but it was really, really good. I think I even enjoyed it more from my pourover than from the Eva Solo. I might try a bit finer just to taste if it could get even better but it was already a great cup. It took around 3-3:15 min. Really satisfied with this grinder so far.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

jbviau
Supporter ★

#219: Post by jbviau »

dcupstateNY wrote:I've been at 1.5 turns since day one. And, I use this setting for the Aeropress, V60, and my Yama vac pot. I should mention, for the V60 I use a Hario Buono kettle with a Barismo gicleur installed in the spout ... my times run in 3:00 to 3:15 range. Everything's been great, so I haven't played with this setting. But, I'm all for experimenting, and will probably tinker a bit, eventually :wink:
Right, 1.5 turns has worked for at least one other member ^^^.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Sam21

#220: Post by Sam21 »

I have settled on 1.5 turns from zero for my CCD. I bloom for 30 seconds with around 60ml. Then I pour the rest of my 300ml in and steep until 4 minutes when I start my draw down. I stir at 1 minute and 3:45. The drawdown lasts one minute. The cups show no over extraction and taste fantastic.

I've been using the LIDO in my office paired with a CCD and I couldn't be happier. The LIDO is a really convenient grinder for the office and allows me to enjoy great coffee at work whenever I want. 1.5 appears to be a coarse drip grind, leaning more towards the fine press pot range.

When I begin experimenting with my Kalita Wave, I am going to begin at 1.25, which looks to be much more of a drip grind. I did some comparisons and compared the grinds to my preferred settings on the Preciso. I grind at 19 on my Preciso for my V60s and was able to duplicate the grind fineness at 7/8-1 turn from 0 on the LIDO. 1.25 looked to be closer to 23-24 on the LIDO. So, my drip grind experiments will start right there between 1 and 1.25. Also, my zero setting on the LIDO has hardly shifted with pretty constant use. I notice just a TINY bit less rub at my zero setting, but I still get burr rub at my zero, nothing at .25 from zero, and heavy rub at -.25. The settings seem to have settled in nicely.