Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sam21

#191: Post by Sam21 »

I just tried knocking and the aeropress cup turned out nice. A small adjustment will be for the next cup, but knocking was quite convenient.

Time will tell if I am a knocker haha

hankua
Supporter ♡

#192: Post by hankua »

Revised Lido Knurled Stop Collar with custom handle from Master Modder Voodoodaddy!

This is a Must Have Mod if you plan on removing the Lido Handle frequently. :D

jbviau
Supporter ★

#193: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Couldn't agree more, Hank. I found the handle on my LIDO was self-tightening while grinding, to the point that I needed extra grip on the nut in order to loosen the handle afterward. This happened multiple times over the course of a week. Had to get out the rubber strip again! Of course, I didn't *need* to remove the handle nearly so often; I was just doing it to test out the mod. The barrel on this revised version, which I received today and installed immediately, is just the thing. It even came with a little hex wrench. Thanks again, Will!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

SimonPatrice

#194: Post by SimonPatrice »

I just tried ordering one this morning but it seems that they are at the SCAA and cannot proceed an order until monday. :( I guess I'll have to wait a little then. And just to make sure I don't miss out on anything, when I tried to order, they were asking if I had a coupon number, promo code, or something like that. There isn't one I should know about right?

Can't wait to order and try it out!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

jbviau
Supporter ★

#195: Post by jbviau »

Today's topic: cleaning the LIDO--in particular, the hopper.

The canned air I have on hand contains a bitterant, as it turns out. For less than the cost of replacing it with some unadulterated canned air, I decided to take a chance on this 8-piece micro vacuum attachment kit from Harbor Freight. It works!

I can get most of the little bits clinging to the inside of the hopper to fall down between the burrs simply by using the brush that comes with the LIDO. It's a little too short to reach the bottom, so I use the plastic sheath my cheapo meat thermometer came with as a makeshift brush extender.

At this point the vacuum attachment kit comes in handy re: finishing off the rest. I'm happy to report the hose fits.

This kit is no miracle-worker though. I still haven't found a good solution for getting rid of the clingers wedged between the black nylon tubes covering the 4 rods inside the hopper and the hopper wall. At one point I removed a tube for cleaning and replaced it. The clingers came back the next time I ground some beans. Who wants to develop some LIDO floss? ;)

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

SimonPatrice

#196: Post by SimonPatrice »

Finally ordered mine tonight. I can't wait to get it. Of course, I made myself a cup of Heart Rwanda Coko tonight (after ordering) using my good old Peugeot and it was pretty tasty. Just to make me doubt a little "Did I really need a new grinder?" I guess I'll have to try and sell my Armin Trosser to feel less guilty.

Do you guys know in how many weeks I can expect the Lido at my door approximately?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Draig

#197: Post by Draig »

If you haven't read the shipping guide on OE I suggest you do. If I had known about how slow it would be, I would've paid more for a quicker delivery in hindsight $25 vs $50. I had mine ship out on the 14 of April and still waiting eagerly for its arrival.

Voodoo daddy what mods are you doing that non USA members can get a hold of?

SimonPatrice

#198: Post by SimonPatrice »

I received an email notice today. The Lido has shipped! I'm just anxious to see if the guys from USPS will be careful with the package.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Jake L

#199: Post by Jake L »

Having experience with OE for several years now I know for a fact that it pays to get the upgraded shipping. Tucked away on the other side of the country from me, some items have taken 10+ days for USPS to get their act together. When I ordered my LIDO I paid extra for priority mail and it was here in 3 days.

Sam21

#200: Post by Sam21 »

I've been knocking down all the grinds and clinging particles every time I grind for CCD and AP. I have seen no difference in the quality of my cups and it makes cleanup much easier when I don't have to carefully remove the jar without nudging the grinder and sending grinds all over the counter. Now, I just clack the burrs, give it a shake, and go forward with whatever I am brewing. It's been working very well for me!