Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#181: Post by yakster »

Ground up eighteen grams of the Rwanda 2012 COE #29 Kagimbanyi Uwimbabazi Margueritte (Bourbon) I roasted to C+ on 4/1 (on the left) and the last (ten grams) of my 3/26 roast of Panama Elida Natural Elida Reserve greens from Klatch roasted to FC+ along with eight grams of the Brazil Rainha Pulp Natural I roasted to FC on 4/1 to pull a couple of shots here at work on my Twist.

The Rwanda was amazing, sweet cranberry with complex floral and heather notes in the background but with a light and somewhat thin crema and the Panama Brazil blend was thick and creamy and very enjoyable.

I have no hesitation recommending the Lido paired with a Twist now, but you probably want a yogurt cup or dosing funnel to make it easier to get the grounds in the basket from the jar.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

scareyourpasenger

#182: Post by scareyourpasenger »

PacMan wrote:I'm really enjoying the look of the knurled nut. I'm considering getting one once my Lido arrives. I'm curious if Voodoo would be able to make a knurled nut from the quick release collars available at McMaster. They're more expensive but would eliminate the need to carry around a tool to remove the collar.

Unrelated to the nut, anyone receive their "week 1 April" Lido yet? Really looking forward to getting rid of my current drip grinder.
They are waiting on parts and expect shipping this weekend or early next week.

Advertisement
voodoodaddy

#183: Post by voodoodaddy »

PacMan wrote:I'm really enjoying the look of the knurled nut. I'm considering getting one once my Lido arrives. I'm curious if Voodoo would be able to make a knurled nut from the quick release collars available at McMaster. They're more expensive but would eliminate the need to carry around a tool to remove the collar.
An Allen key will be provided with the final kit. What's another tool to carry since you'll be needing a nut driver to disassemble to clean out the burr anyway :wink:

djsketchie

#184: Post by djsketchie »

orphanespresso wrote:I have yet to figure this one out....it would seem that during the grind in period that the burr alignment is getting better. There can be no other explanation if the zero setting is going farther CW now than before. There must be some theoretical limit....but for now it seems like a good thing :) . Simple enough to change the brass washer zero marker.
My zero setting drift has settled on 1/2 turn clockwise from the "stock" setting, so I just removed the brass washer to adjust. I will also say that with no coffee in the hopper, the handle glides around with little resistance, so I think the bearings have gotten worn in, which I am assuming is also a good thing.

FWIW, I have been using 1-1/2 turns for French Press (I was getting some weak brews even with a 6 minute steep with coarser grinds), and 1-1/4 seems to be the sweet spot for my Moka Pot...just enough resistance without choking it. I will be getting a Chemex pretty soon (vintage original Pyrex version off eBay, because I'm like that, haha), so I am looking forward to dialing that in as well.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the LIDO, and I'll probably never need another grinder unless I decide to brave the world of espresso in the near future. Speaking of the future, what is the typical life span of metal burrs, and will there be replacement options when and if this happens?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#185: Post by yakster »

Brewed up a PNG in the Bunn BTX this morning using fifty grams ground at +0.75 which resulted in a great cup with lots of body and gingerbread notes. I think it's about dialed in for the Bunn.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dcupstateNY

#186: Post by dcupstateNY replying to yakster »

Chris ... I'm guessing that the Bunn has a rather short brew cycle, hence the +.75 setting, right? I'm using 1.5 turns for my Technivorm which averages around 6 min. for a full (1.25 L) pot. And, as I alluded to in my other post, that's pretty much been my setting for all my other non-espresso brews.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

yakster
Supporter ♡

#187: Post by yakster »

Right, the Bunn has a very short brew cycle and really only works well with a finer grind.

I really prefer manual pour-over, but need to brew a larger batch now in the mornings so I got the Bunn out of storage and it does pretty well as long as you dial the grind in.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
Sam21

#188: Post by Sam21 »

Just a general question about LIDO technique...

Do you all try to leave the grounds alone that are stuck to the adjustment cap and sometimes the wall of the catch jar? Most of these grounds appear to be fines and dust, but do make up maybe .5-1g of coffee it seems. When aiming to grind 18g of coffee for an aeropress, I have been grinding 19g in order to hit my goal weight in the press.

Or, do you just knock everything down into the catch cup and brew with it?

I took a short two week period off from the LIDO, but am now getting back to using it daily for an afternoon aeropress. Right now, I am sitting at a hair or two past 1.25 turns. Inverted + Disk. 18g/230ml water. 1 minute steep, 45 second plunge.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#189: Post by jbviau »

Guess I'm a knocker. When the handle starts to spin freely after grinding, I give the LIDO a few knocks right above the catch jar lid to make sure all bean fragments have fallen down between the burrs. Then I finish grinding. To add ground coffee to the Aeropress, I use the funnel. After I've removed the LIDO's catch jar, I invert it over the funnel and give the jar another knock or two to dislodge those last bits of coffee that get stuck under its lip. Using this method, there's no measurable retention to speak of, and I don't see or taste any issues in the cup. That's not to say, however, that I go after every last fine/bit of chaff. I still have to rinse off the Aeropress funnel, brush out the LIDO's adjustment mechanism, and give the interior of the catch jar a quick wipe after my grinding sessions in order to get rid of the clingers.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#190: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I am a non-knocker :)

Got my new thumb-nut from Voodoodaddy for the Lido handle removal, another sweet mod! I can try the handle in both positions now, or show other people the two grinding positions much more easily, no pliers needed!
LMWDP #371