Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#171: Post by yakster »

I'm still dialing in the grind settings for coffee on the Lido. Hopefully I'll have it dialed in for various preps before I have to hand it off to the next in line in the Traveling Roadshow that Lido # 002 is on.

This morning, I dialed down the grind to 1 for grinding 50 grams for drip on my Bunn. Based on the results I'll be using .75 for the next batch, but it was a marked improvement. It took me at least a week to be satisfied with my grind for the Bunn on the Vario before I ended up with a fine enough grind to work with the fast brew cycle. I actually think that dialing in for coffee is harder than espresso, especially since I'm not going to drink three 800 ml batches of coffee back-to-back like I might with an espresso. I would also rapidly run out of my home-roast at that rate and end up out of coffee.

Hopefully I'll have time today for the 3/8 setting of the Lido to pull some more shots on the Twist.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dcupstateNY

#172: Post by dcupstateNY »

I've been at 1.5 turns since day one. And, I use this setting for the Aeropress, V60, and my Yama vac pot. I should mention, for the V60 I use a Hario Buono kettle with a Barismo gicleur installed in the spout ... my times run in 3:00 to 3:15 range. Everything's been great, so I haven't played with this setting. But, I'm all for experimenting, and will probably tinker a bit, eventually :wink:
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

MSH

#173: Post by MSH »

Thanks for the input Chris and Dave!
Dave, I'm using the Buono kettle as well, but no Barismo flow restrictor. Have heard a lot of positive reviews on the flow restrictor, so I think I have to pick one up.

Sam21

#174: Post by Sam21 replying to MSH »

It's very worthy it. I couldn't live without mine.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#175: Post by yakster »

Back to the kitchen for some espresso as I'm feeling the day drag on.

First up was a Panama Elida Natural Elida Reserve roasted to full city+ with about 16 days rest (not much left of this batch) with the Lido set to +3/8 from zero.

It was a nice espresso with berry notes and a sparkling acidity, but I felt that the grind could be tightened up a bit for this one to try and get a bit more mottling in the cup. The crema was thick with good mouthfeel.

I tightened up the grind to about a +5/16th for the next shot of my Brazil Rainha Pulp Natural roasted to full city with about 10 days rest on it.

This was a nice, chocolaty shot with a good, strong and long aftertaste. I think the tighter grind worked on this one, though it's a bit apples to oranges switching coffees here. Here's a photo of the grinder set to +5/16th from zero with zero being at the top of the screen. It does take a bit of brushing to get the fine espresso grind out from the channel below the burrs.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jbviau
Supporter ★

#176: Post by jbviau »

MSH wrote:I know Chris ("Bob_McBob") mentioned a couple weeks back that he had to tighten his Lido up a bit. What have others experienced? For those folks that have put a few lbs or more of beans through their Lido are most folks staying consistent with their settings?
I'm experiencing something similar: my zero is now 1/4 turn CW from where it began. This is after having used the LIDO exclusively for all of my (light-roasted) coffee brewing over the past 10 days. If the Preciso had feelings, it would be jealous.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#177: Post by orphanespresso »

I have yet to figure this one out....it would seem that during the grind in period that the burr alignment is getting better. There can be no other explanation if the zero setting is going farther CW now than before. There must be some theoretical limit....but for now it seems like a good thing :) . Simple enough to change the brass washer zero marker.

Jbviau...I even got the metal burrs and a new carrier for our old 1st generation B Vario thinking this would be a great thing and after a week have yet to even try it out as it is so automatic to just reach for the LIDO!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#178: Post by jbviau »

orphanespresso wrote:Jbviau...I even got the metal burrs and a new carrier for our old 1st generation B Vario thinking this would be a great thing and after a week have yet to even try it out as it is so automatic to just reach for the LIDO!
I know exactly what you mean! Whenever you do check out those new burrs for the Vario, I'd be interested to hear what you think of them though.

Speaking of burrs, roughly how long (i.e. for how many pounds of coffee) should we expect the LIDO's burr set to last? And will the burrs be user-replaceable? Getting ahead of myself, I know, but these questions will come up eventually anyway since it's hard to put the grinder down.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#179: Post by jbviau »

voodoodaddy wrote:This is tool less handle removing mod. "The Gripper" Install in seconds, aluminum, will not damage main shaft. knurled for positive grip :twisted:
I got my knurled nut from "voodoo" Will today. You can see that he switched to vertical lines for a cleaner knurled look.

Ironically, I had to get out the pliers and OE rubber thingy one last time to remove the handle before installing the nut. Also needed was a bit to adjust the nut--Torx T15 worked for me.

Attempt #1: slipped the nut onto the shaft, tightened it, put the handle back on, then ground some beans. Afterward, tried and failed to remove the handle. Held the nut firmly, turned, but the handle didn't loosen. Oops, the nut wasn't on the shaft tight enough! Torqued it on a bit harder with the T15 and was then in business, as the handle came off without much effort. Uninstalled the nut to check for damage to the shaft but didn't find any (phew).

Attempt #2 (new and improved with increased nut-tightening power): no problemo! Held the nut firmly and took the handle on/off a few times without trouble. You might want to use a dish towel or similar if your fingertips aren't used to rough work; the knurling is toward the aggressive end of the spectrum.

IMO this little mod makes for much more elegant handle removal, if that's important to anyone, say, for travel purposes. It eliminates the need to tote pliers around. Of course, you'll want to carry a T15 bit (and driver) to uninstall the nut if you plan on taking out the inner burr for cleaning while on the road, but I wouldn't bother.

Thanks, Will. This is a winner.

PacMan

#180: Post by PacMan »

I'm really enjoying the look of the knurled nut. I'm considering getting one once my Lido arrives. I'm curious if Voodoo would be able to make a knurled nut from the quick release collars available at McMaster. They're more expensive but would eliminate the need to carry around a tool to remove the collar.

Unrelated to the nut, anyone receive their "week 1 April" Lido yet? Really looking forward to getting rid of my current drip grinder.