www.wholelattelove.com: our caffeinated commitment to you

Owner experience with HG one grinder - Page 35

Postby JohnB. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:32 pm

FotonDrv wrote:Yah, and I was going to get the other burr set just because...

71mm burr set & carrier are still in stock (11). Swapping the sets isn't quite as painless as you see in the video due to some slop in the carrier mount pins or at least one of them. You will have to check that the mount/outer burr assy. is level with the base of the inner burr when reassembling before you tighten the two bolts.
LMWDP 267
JohnB.

www.seattlecoffeegear.com: let us help you find the right gear
www.seattlecoffeegear.com: let us help you find the right gear

Postby prof_stack on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Craig at HG-one was kind enough to reply to my message.

Yeah, the grinders went quickly. So I'm up for the next batch.

The Zassenhaus will keep doing its German magic to the coffee.
LMWDP #010
prof_stack

Postby JohnB. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I substituted an Aeropress funnel for the stock HG-One funnel today.

Seemed to help with the static issues. Grinding the Moka Kadir blend I had no static cling in the funnel or on the carrier with no RDT. With the Malabar Gold blend & no RDT the grounds slipped out of the funnel as soon as I moved it but the bottom of the carrier/burr was covered. This has been my problem blend so some RDT is still required but I may be able to use less.
LMWDP 267
JohnB.

Postby FotonDrv on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:23 pm

JohnB. wrote:71mm burr set & carrier are still in stock (11). Swapping the sets isn't quite as painless as you see in the video due to some slop in the carrier mount pins or at least one of them. You will have to check that the mount/outer burr assy. is level with the base of the inner burr when reassembling before you tighten the two bolts.

Thanks for the heads-up John! I did manage to get in on this buy. I was going to wait but then it occurred to me that it might be best to get the burr carriers made at the same time as the first batch of grinder like mine. Less chance for error that way in slight tolerance differences.
LMWDP #417, chew the bean and save money :-)
FotonDrv

Postby JohnB. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 pm

FotonDrv wrote: Less chance for error that way in slight tolerance differences.

I'd say that was a very good idea.
LMWDP 267
JohnB.

Postby FotonDrv on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

JohnB. wrote:I'd say that was a very good idea.

I am a believer that Murphy is on the payroll :D
FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

JohnB. wrote:I substituted an Aeropress funnel for the stock HG-One funnel today.

<image>

Seemed to help with the static issues. Grinding the Moka Kadir blend I had no static cling in the funnel or on the carrier with no RDT. With the Malabar Gold blend & no RDT the grounds slipped out of the funnel as soon as I moved it but the bottom of the carrier/burr was covered. This has been my problem blend so some RDT is still required but I may be able to use less.

So you used that plastic cone to dispense into the paper cup? When I placed a insulated drinking glass above the bottom of the cone the static went wild and was everywhere and extended further up the outside of the cone than the glass! Pretty strange and since a mist of water stops it all that is whats happening.

Heck, I cannot find paper cups! they all have wax or plastic on them. I suppose if I went to Costco and bought a Mini Cooper full of cups I could find them; maybe I need to raid someones office :lol:
FotonDrv

Postby JohnB. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm

FotonDrv wrote:So you used that plastic cone to dispense into the paper cup?
Heck, I cannot find paper cups! they all have wax or plastic on them.

The paper cups are nothing special. 9oz Dixie Cold Cups from Target. As for the Aeropress funnel it's not a cure for static but I prefer it the stock funnel. No clean up as nothing sticks to it & no bumping around trying to line up the magnets. Cleaned off the stock funnel & put it in a drawer.
LMWDP 267
JohnB.

Postby FotonDrv on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm

JohnB. wrote:The paper cups are nothing special. 9oz Dixie Cold Cups from Target. As for the Aeropress funnel it's not a cure for static but I prefer it the stock funnel. No clean up as nothing sticks to it & no bumping around trying to line up the magnets. Cleaned off the stock funnel & put it in a drawer.

I will have to search for one!

Target should be on my list too....
FotonDrv

Postby mivanitsky on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm

I have intermittent static issues, depending on humidity and use of heater in my great room/kitchen. It is affected by all of the usual bean parameters as have been documented ad infinitum in this thread.

RDT ameliorates the static. Most of the time, it is not bad enough to make me do it.

I dose into a 3oz Dixie bathroom paper cup, elevated on an old PF basket (inverted). I purchased these cups at Safeway.

I clear the funnel with tap and brush if necessary. No matter how bad the static in the funnel, nothing sticks to the cup.

I then invert the cup into the PF, shaking a few times, remove the cup, and tap to settle.

Nutate, light tamp, and go. Predictably perfect every time, as long as I do not make a mistake in my prep. Vertical tapping must be level, or the edge channeling can be heinous. If the prep is botched, then WDT fixes it. Alternatively, back to the cup and re-shake. Paying attention, I never find this necessary at this point.

I have ordered some appropriately sized bamboo cups to use instead of the dixie cups, and will update to let everyone know how that works out.

This grinder has static issues sometimes, which can easily be circumvented by two different techniques, each of which adds no more than 15 sec to the prep. They are also much easier than the work needed to single dose a titan conical like my Kony-E. As such, I find this grinder to be an excellent grinder for low or unhurried volumes of carefully dosed shots.

I have not found the quality to be in any way inferior to my Kony-E, which at this point will be relegated to parties, or when I need to pull 50 shots when collaborating on the making of coffee beer.

I would pay extra for a better lower funnel that does not have static issues. The HG One, while not absolutely perfect, does not miss the mark by much. Any competent home barista, who can go through the gyrations necessary to use a titan conical for single dosing at home, or who is capable of coaxing any kind of a good shot out of lesser grinders, will find this grinder easy to use, predictable, and of unrivaled quality. It is a better value than titan conicals for home use. The Pharos is a better value still, dollar wise, with slightly higher "fiddle-factor," but with the added bonus of portability. Most of us will not find any differences in the cup among any of these grinders, most likely.

It's fantastic to have so many excellent choices. Those who cannot afford titan motorized conicals no longer have to "settle" for other burr sets, unless they desire the flavor profile of a small or flat burr.

Mike
mivanitsky