Owner experience with HG one grinder - Page 33

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#321: Post by FotonDrv »

dsc wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the creators off, believe me I know how hard it is to design a grinder (been there and still not finished). I simply said that etched marks would be a nice addition and that stick-on scale don't work as well (it can probably if you make it right).

The 'but' was there to imply that pencil and grand worth of grinder doesn't go that well together. At this sort of price I'd assume a proper scale comes factory made. Then again maybe someone decided that scale isn't needed at all.

Regards,
dsc.
I agree, there should have been and etched/laser cut scale on the frame mount for the burr carrier. Then putting just one dot or a pencil line wherever you wanted it would work. Then all you would have to do is look for your mark and compare it to the numbers that are etched.

What I have found in using it is once a zero spot is found and then the second spot where your machine likes the grind then you will not need a lot of marks. Small changes do a lot in taste.

I suppose if you were grinding for espresso with shot #1 and wanted to grind for a pot of pourover after that and then immediately switch back to espresso then you would need a lot of marks. My solution is 2 grinders.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

ihor

#322: Post by ihor »

Micrometer scales are for precision - grinding beans is about variabilities and approximations - art not science.

The HG-One is about simplicity and distillation of design intent.

Adding the scale presumes you can return to the exact micro-position for the next batch of beans - not possible or even probable. The ability to "feel' your adjustments based on 'understanding' your next bean connects you to the bean directly.

This is a beautiful, simple, machine - nothing more, nothing less, and as one famous Jazz musician once said, "Simple ain't easy".

arcus

#323: Post by arcus »

I'm using pencil marks and it hasn't led to any depression although waiting until I finally get my L-I delivered before adding any dots is making me a little sad :cry:

Spitz.me

#324: Post by Spitz.me »

ihor wrote:Micrometer scales are for precision - grinding beans is about variabilities and approximations - art not science.

The HG-One is about simplicity and distillation of design intent.

Adding the scale presumes you can return to the exact micro-position for the next batch of beans - not possible or even probable. The ability to "feel' your adjustments based on 'understanding' your next bean connects you to the bean directly.

This is a beautiful, simple, machine - nothing more, nothing less, and as one famous Jazz musician once said, "Simple ain't easy".
What? I have no idea why the HG1 inspires feedback like this, similar to lever rhetoric. You do realize that grinding the beans isn't about 'feeling your adjustments', right? How does the HG1, in this respect 'connect you to the bean' any more than my k10 does? The ability to adjust based on a relative position is key on a grinder, whether it's about 'simplicity and distillation of design intent' or just grinding beans...
LMWDP #670

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#325: Post by JohnB. »

FotonDrv wrote:Have you had a chance to compare the flavor difference between the Pharos and the 83mm HG-1?

I thought there might be a slight difference, but that could just have been grind setting.
Stephen
I only had my Pharos for 1 week back when they first came out so no chance to compare the two. I would expect that like the K10 & 71mm Mazzer burrs the Pharos brings the fruit/acidic flavors forward whereas with the 83mm burrset they step back a bit. I personally enjoy the fruit flavors in espresso but since I have the "small" burrset in the K10 I thought it would be nice to have the larger set in the HG-One. This way I can try the same bean or blend in each grinder to see which way I prefer it.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#326: Post by FotonDrv »

JohnB. wrote: I personally enjoy the fruit flavors in espresso but since I have the "small" burrset in the K10 I thought it would be nice to have the larger set in the HG-One. This way I can try the same bean or blend in each grinder to see which way I prefer it.
That is exactly why I got the 83mm set :D

That slight difference in flavor between the 83mm HG-1 and Pharos might just have been the burrs since we noticed a slightly more floral, bright, flavor. Initially we noticed it and later though it COULD have been a grind setting difference but it is interesting to notice you observed the same thing.

Thanks for your input!

spressomon

#327: Post by spressomon »

:D I'll throw in my 2 cents: An HG-1 is on my not too distant future. I'd prefer a numbered/lined reference scale for easier tracking of the burr position. I do the pencil marks on my MM and although it works its just lacking/impermanent/under-engineered for my OCD ways :lol:

I added a reference line/degree scale to my Pharos (along with a compression style locking collar) and it made all the difference being able to calibrate #1 but also to reliably/accurately get repeatable grind settings #2.

I see both sides of this debate...but I'll be installing a different scale on my HG-1.
No Espresso = Depresso

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#328: Post by FotonDrv »

The decal/vinyl dots came with the Versalab too but eventually I ended up doing this. A zero point and then pointers and magic marker dots where I wanted them. Not pretty but effective :D

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#329: Post by JohnB. »

FotonDrv wrote:That slight difference in flavor between the 83mm HG-1 and Pharos might just have been the burrs since we noticed a slightly more floral, bright, flavor. Initially we noticed it and later though it COULD have been a grind setting difference but it is interesting to notice you observed the same thing.
Behdad described the differences between the Pharos & HG-One burrsets in this post. Summing it up well towards the bottom.
Owner experience with HG One grinder
LMWDP 267

ihor

#330: Post by ihor »

Why so upset... and holier than thou....and lecturing....but you're correct...you have no idea :roll: .

"....The ability to adjust based on a relative position"

Bingo.

Pencil line(s) - simple.