Owner experience with HG one grinder - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
espressojr
Supporter ♡

#111: Post by espressojr »

norschtein wrote:Hi Scott,
at the German HB-equivalent they are ardently blessing some picaresque piece of "Vorsprung durch Technik.":
http://www.kaffee-netz.de/ich-unbedingt ... post395425
:mrgreen: ....
off topic:
no one is going to comment on the sugar in the last photo? :wink: I remember that a relative of mine in the NL commented that he knew espresso was good when the sugar he put in floated on the top for a few seconds before it sunk. for each their own :D

norschtein

#112: Post by norschtein »

espressojr wrote:off topic:
.....to comment on the sugar in the last photo?...
HE SAID JEHOVA! :shock:
Too far afield - and luckily too far away from my habbits that i could contibute...

Bob_McBob

#113: Post by Bob_McBob »

I've noticed in a lot of German espresso videos on Youtube they seem to be using robusta-heavy blends and making a huge deal about the crema in the cup. The "sugar test" is very common.
Chris

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#114: Post by Terranova »

espressojr wrote:off topic:
no one is going to comment on the sugar in the last photo?
Whats wrong with adding a little spoon of sugar into the espresso ?
Or is it the so called "sugar test" you have mentioned, which is a quiet strange benchmark :)

Grant

#115: Post by Grant »

There's lots of "nit picking" going on one way or the other, but all I can say is that's rare these days when I purchase something at ANY cost and the end result is an overall feeling of satisfaction and value. And that is what I have now. In this case, consistent grind quality and a grinder that just fits in and works well with MY routine.

I'm happy now, and it would be a bonus if it gets better as it breaks in over next few months.

At our home as of yesterday evening, we now have three different beans to pick from instead of one (one being decaf). I can walk up, decide on my bean of choice, grind, and enjoy a great shot of espresso.

I have never had this simple luxury prior to this in an affordable grinder. (Let's call "affordable" under $1000 for some reference point).

The little mist to remove static and the WDT of the grinds are all "background noise" after you have done them a few times.

But that said, if someone can point out a different sub $1000 grinder that can single dose, produce this grind quality, is motorized, has no static, and distributes perfectly, or can convince me of a better overall VALUE in a grinder, I'll sell the HG-One without a tear.
Grant

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#116: Post by JohnB. »

Back to the HG-one: Tried a different blend today. Gave the dose a couple light RDT mists, zero static issues & no need for the WDT. I did still grind into the paper cup & shook the grounds around but didn't see the clumping I get with the other blend. Since there wasn't much of a difference in roast level between the 2 blends it may come down to the beans. I went back to the blend I was using yesterday & even with several RDT mists I had a layer of grounds inside the lower funnel & the grounds definitely required lots of WDT type attention. The blend producing the serious static issues contains some robusta & monsooned Malabar among other beans. I'll be running that blend through the K10 from now on.

Since other owners that aren't experiencing static problems don't seem to have the distribution issues I doubt that burr seasoning is a major factor.
LMWDP 267

Bob_McBob

#117: Post by Bob_McBob »

JohnB. wrote:Since other owners that aren't experiencing static problems don't seem to have the distribution issues I doubt that burr seasoning is a major factor.
I have major distribution problems with or without static. The only technique that has produced drinkable shots so far is grinding into a pitcher I can shake (in place of a paper cup).
Chris

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#118: Post by JohnB. »

Have you tried several different blends?
LMWDP 267

peacecup

#119: Post by peacecup »

Interesting that some are having distribution problems and some are not. Doesn't seem to make any sense. When TomC reported at the beginning that he was having problems I thought it was solved when he stopped dosing into the PF.

FWIW I dose from the wooden drawer of hand grinders into the basket after just gently shaking the drawer. Has anyone tried grinding the HG into a wooden container?

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#120: Post by peacecup »

I have never had this simple luxury prior to this in an affordable grinder. (Let's call "affordable" under $1000 for some reference point).
Welcome to the hand grinder fold.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."