Orphan Espresso's LIDO 1 vs. LIDO 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by emradguy »

Has anyone done a side by side comparison? I use a Lido 1 for press only, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the 2.

The threads I've found seem to be orient around one or the other, but not both, and focus more on first impressions or modifications. So, what I'm getting at is...though I realize that what I'm looking for might be included in one of those other threads, I haven't read all of the posts because of 1) the large number of posts, and 2) the titles and apparent focus of their content.
LMWDP #748

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

The LIDO 1 is a nibbler, is a bit easier to turn than the LIDO 2, and has a different adjustment and bottom profile. The LIDO 2 has a larger burr and grinds the beans faster, but this takes a bit more effort. For non-espresso brewing I don't find it difficult. It can be stood on its bottom without the catch cup attached, unlike the LIDO 1. The LIDO 1 adjusts with a screw underneath. The LIDO 2 adjusts with interlocking rings, which eliminates the bottom screw adjuster. The LIDO 2 is a bit easier to adjust incrementally because its rings are large and notched. It has a build that seems comparable to the Pharos. This adds weight, but I like the solid feel of a good tool like that. There is a LIDO 3 in prototype that won't be an upgrade to the LIDO 2 but is purposed as a travel grinder. It won't be available until next Spring.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

MWJB

#3: Post by MWJB »

I haven't done a direct A/B & I use a relatively fine grind for press (around drip grind: 0.70 to 1.00 on the Lido 1, 1 turn on Lido 2), but have used the Lido 1 for Sowden & French press brews every weekday for more than a year, Lido 2 for the same brews for 3 months.

Lido 1 seems to make marginally less fines than Lido 2 at these settings, maybe because the Lido 1 burr is more of a nibbler? I don't like silt in my metal/unfiltered steeped brews and both are manageable on this front with good technique, slight advantage to Lido 1.

Now my Lido 2 is bedded in (& knob greased) I don't really feel a significant difference in effort to grind (I'm a weakling), Lido 2 is certainly faster and the ergonomics better.

Lido 2 (without o-ring mod to jar) is a tiny bit messier, just unscrew the jar carefully over bin/sink & stroke the grinds on the rim back into the jar, certainly not a deal breaker. A little more retention with Lido 2, again no biggie just put 0.4-0.5g excess in. Being able to put the Lido 2 down without the jar attached is quite liberating.

I would give a slight lead to Lido 1 on results in the cup, so if you are happy with the ergonomics, I'd stick, or wait for Lido 3. In cold light of day, grinding 60-70g of beans at a time, I'm very happy with the Lido 2 (speed & ergonomics win out) and happy to keep Lido 1 for weekend duty. I'm not going to swap them around.

Hope that helps, I tried my best not to sit on the fence, but all things considered, it's quite a tough call.

emradguy (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy (original poster) »

Yeah, that's about what I expected. I've read all the design posts by Doug and Barb and also have read the Lido 3 thread. I should have specified I was looking for "in the cup differences". The only thing about the 1 that bugs me is the setting it down part, which was kind of solved by getting the stand from Doug and Barb.

I appreciate both replies, and others would be appreciated too.
LMWDP #748

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau »

Since I acquired my LIDO 2 (beta), I've sold off one of my original LIDO 1s but kept the other, and I do still get it out from time to time to grind for a cup (tonight, for example). When that happens, the following thoughts usually occur to me, in no particular order:

1. This thing is so light!
2. How can anyone complain about the LIDO 2's handle? It's a big step up from what came before.
3. Why didn't I remove the bolt covers earlier?
4. Yup, still makes great coffee.

If what's in the cup matters most, I wouldn't rush to upgrade. I keep putting off doing blind comparisons between LIDOs 1 and 2, but my impression is that any step up tastewise will be fairly small. The LIDO 2's grind *looks* a touch more precise, FWIW. My experience re: fines with metal-filtered brews is opposite to Mark's, i.e. marginally less using the LIDO 2.

Anyway, hand grinding has become a hobby for me, so I'll happily collect one to use in each room of the house regardless of which turns out to be my absolute favorite with respect to ergonomics, grind consistency, etc. 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jammin

#6: Post by jammin »

I own them both.

if you want specific tests, or pics let me know. I'll see what I can do

emradguy (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by emradguy (original poster) »

Thanks guys!

I don't have specific tests in mind. It's not like I can ask you to brew equal doses for equal brew times and outputs and then do blind side-by side taste comparisons. It would be more challenging than comparing espresso extractions, I imagine. I suppose someone with a refractometer could do it, but I'd never try to solicit someone to undertake such an endeavor on my behalf (though my hope is someone else has wanted to, and in fact already has).

If the flavor profile and mouthfeel of the pressed brew made using each of the grinders is relatively insignificant, then at least for now, I can continue to withstand my urge to get a Lido 2 - just to have them both (and the 3 as well, when it comes out).

speaking of my Lido 1 and my Espro press...they're calling my name, so I gotta run...
LMWDP #748

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

The easiest way I've found to do side-by-side brewing comparisons is either by simple cupping, or else doing an immersion brew in a pair of Impresses or Clever drippers. This isn't optimal for folks who prefer pour-over methods over immersion, but side-by-side manual pour-over brewing introduces too many variables into the equation, given that technique can make a difference and you can't have one person do two at a time unless they have crazy skills. I have a pair of impresses and a Lido 2, and I'm happy to do side by side, blinded tastings if anyone would loan me a Lido 1 for a few days.

Dialing in both grinders for equal draw-down time on a Clever is the best way I've come up with for matching grind size as closely as possible.
LMWDP #435

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

I like this response.
emradguy wrote:If the flavor profile and mouthfeel of the pressed brew made using each of the grinders is relatively insignificant, then at least for now, I can continue to withstand my urge to get a Lido 2 - just to have them both (and the 3 as well, when it comes out).
I believe that sometimes we can squint at small differences in gear instead of honing our barista skills to the fine coffees and excellent equipment we have.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#10: Post by jbviau »

[creative nickname] wrote:The easiest way I've found to do side-by-side brewing comparisons is either by simple cupping, or else doing an immersion brew in a pair of Impresses or Clever drippers. This isn't optimal for folks who prefer pour-over methods over immersion, but side-by-side manual pour-over brewing introduces too many variables into the equation, given that technique can make a difference and you can't have one person do two at a time unless they have crazy skills. I have a pair of impresses and a Lido 2, and I'm happy to do side by side, blinded tastings if anyone would loan me a Lido 1 for a few days.
Yup, this was my approach when I compared the LIDO 2 and an early hausgrind (link). Now I've got a second Impress, Mark, so no need to loan your spare out to me again!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias