One small step... Mazzer grinder sweeper mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

Thanks to Dan K's pix, i was able to do the "sweeper" vane mod on a Mazzer SJ...I actually used heavy duty velcro, cut and measured to hit bottom...i used only the rubbery "nubby" sides, stuck together...not the felt portion...makes for a stiff, very effective sweeper...now if i could just machine the width of the upper vanes a bit narrower....it's quite a resting place for grinds!
Man, this thing grinds fast!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

For those who are wondering what picture Rob is referring to...

Increase sweep efficiency by adding tape to the trailing edge of the Mazzer's doser vanes

Referring back to a post I answered on CG (link). As for the grinds ledge, check out the "Modifications" section of HB's handy Resources page.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
IMAWriter (original poster)

#3: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Except MINE is less sticky! :lol:
Dan, thanks for taking all that time with me last night...you truly are the uber Geek

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Velcro or electrical tape? I've heard that the velcro develops a "coffee mustache", which isn't a problem with my proposal. The adhesive portion is folded onto itself, so there's nothing to stick to. It wears out after a few months though.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to HB »

Velcro..my is folded over as well, sticking to itself...only the rubber portion touches the grind....
BTW, there is a thin metal wire like thing sticking up, screwed in to one of the upper vanes...is that to relieve static?
there's a corresponding hole on the opposite side, but it's empty....
Missing the tray that goes on the bottom to catch grinds...no biggie, though
It ground a triple in around 10 secs...maybe a tick less..had tamper in throat....it really shoots the grind to the front side of the doser...

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

That little wire sticking up from the end of a vane is to knock off the stale grounds from the doser's interior. It comes in handy at cafes that fill to the doser's brim. :shock:

PS: espressoparts.com sells the SJ tray separately. It's not cheap, but much bigger than the Mini (pseudo) catch tray and it looks sharp.
Dan Kehn

#7: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to HB »

Another big thank you...I originally thought my cafe-owner friend was loaning me a Mazzer MAJOR...was surprised it was the SJ...I told her i would clean it up and sell it for her...not sure where/when they originally purchased...
It's scratchless except for a couple on left front...i removed the PF holder as well...easier with naked PF..edit..hee hee, and I ground vac this morning as well...no harder to adjust than my Rocky DL....I might see if she'll sell it (the SJ) to me...
I'd cut down the hopper, or get the mini cut down from chris...
Haven't peeked at the burrs as yet...chicken...i think theres's a screw stopping me from rotating it(the grind mechanism) completely off

edited for faux pas

Advertisement
skyryders90

#8: Post by skyryders90 »

HB wrote:PS: espressoparts.com sells the SJ tray separately. It's not cheap, but much bigger than the Mini (pseudo) catch tray and it looks sharp.
Do you have a link to this? I can't find it anywhere, but would like to look into it as I think it would work well with my new Mini E Doserless.

Thanks!!

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

No, I ordered it from Brian over the phone. I talked to Dave and he'll post the specifics.
Dan Kehn

OlywaDave

#10: Post by OlywaDave replying to HB »

Yeah I talked with Devon and we quit carrying it as a separate item since it costs $50.00!!! The new Mazzers all come with one obviously, but we find that they really don't work all that well. You still end up with coffee outside the tray if you are particularly messy when you dose, which I have to admit I am since I over-dose and use the lid to scrape and distribute the excess grounds.

We actually retired the plastic tray that came with our Mazzer Mini, this is what we use and you might find it to be a little more affordable and useful.

http://www.espressoparts.com/product/tray

David White
EspressoParts.com