Olympia Mocca new grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HBfencing

#1: Post by HBfencing »

Hello All:

Just wanted to get some feedback on the proposed new Olympia Mocca Grinder. Looks like 64mm flat burrs and a 300W motor. The 120V version isn't out yet but it will be soon. The 220V version has been out for some time.

See link below

http://www.cerinicoffee.com/2015-olympi ... -may-2015/

My guess on price is about $1600 based on the 220V version price but maybe lower since Cerini's was offering a free transformer with the 220V version. I'm looking to get away from hand grinding on my hg-1 and get a motorized grinder. If I had the skills to motorize the hg-1 I would do that instead.

The other option would be to purchase a mahlkonig k30 vario but they take up a lot of space on the counter

If you take a look at the youtube video below in the link posted above cleaning the burrs seems tedious.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

You can find the same burr size & more power in a Super Jolly for $700 new. For the same money as the Mocca the K30 Vario would definitely be the way to go.
LMWDP 267

HBfencing (original poster)

#3: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

Thanks John. The k30 is a nice grinder and I will probably go that route. Wish someone made a motorized plug and play kit for the hg-1

canuckcoffeeguy

#4: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

The Olympia Moca is pretty neat looking from an aesthetic standpoint. Kind of looks like a classier Mahlkonig Pro M. Very different look from most grinders in this class.

It's also short. At 14 inches tall, the Moca is the same height as a Baratza Vario/Forte. That's pretty compact for a 64mm flat. Regarding grind quality, I'm wondering how it stacks up. There was a time when people said the K30 was too expensive for a 64mm flat. Now it's considered world-class, since a grinder's quality in-the-cup comes down to more than just burr size. Think Mahlkonig's quality control and tolerances etc.
Stylish, Slim, Quality Needed: Electric Burr Grinder Recommendation?
http://www.olympia-express.ch/en/products/moca

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

I'd expect precise tolerances from that quality Swiss engineering.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

The last version of the Moca grinder listed for around $1000 & it did not live up to the hype or price. The one guy I know that bought one returned it & the H-B review of the same model was dropped after testing. Hopefully this version works better but there is nothing there to justify that price.
LMWDP 267

HoldTheOnions

#7: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I don't think glass hopper such good idea. Agreed taking apart is pretty nutty.

For my butter fingers any way :-)

bas

#8: Post by bas »

As far as I know it has the same motor, belt drive and burrs as the MK alias Ditting ProM. I have a ProM and like the ergonomics and grind quality. And the fact that it is an incredibly clean grinder

This Olympia grinder has definitely better looks. But lacks the timer.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

bas wrote:As far as I know it has the same motor, belt drive and burrs as the MK alias Ditting ProM. This Olympia grinder has definitely better looks. But lacks the timer.
Currently you can buy a Pro M Espresso for $799; half the price of the Mocca.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/mahlk ... r-open-box Is the Pro M series still being sold? They've had more then their fair share of issues.
LMWDP 267

day

#10: Post by day »

If it grinds well it is A rare beautiful grinder. Would be a wonderful match to cremina.

The burrs sure are tedious to clean, but that shouldn't be too often. The real question imo is that retention, however what i saw was not just grinds left in the chute but on the sweeper vanes. This suggested to me that the hopper was full of beans the last time it was turned on, dumped for the video. Either that or someone for some reason intentionally wanting beans left for the video? No real reason why the vanes should be covered in burrs with just a few flicks of power. Thus, for someone wanting something beautiful and small to pair with a cremina it definitely seems worth it to continue looking into it.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone