OE lower bearing upgrade for Hario Skerton/Kyocera CM-50CF coffee grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ladd123

#1: Post by ladd123 »

I am purchasing a new coffee grinder. I will be purchasing either a Hario Skerton or Kyocera CM50. If I understand your comments about the upgrade, it WILL NOT work with a NEW MODEL of Hario Skerton / Kyocera CM50 Hand Grinders. If that is the case, do you have an upgrade kit for the new models or do the new models not require an upgrade?

Thanks.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

We get the idea here that this post is addressed directly to Orphan Espresso, so....

IMO the new Skertons and equivalent (there are many more Skertons clones than just Kyocera) suck just as much as the old ones. They changed the burr area geometry enough that the old bearing does not fit. When they retooled for the new model it seems they could have done some improvement but it is the same old dust and rocks....good enough for fine grinding but unravel they go coarse, but whadda ya expect for 30 bucks?

Thom MacMillan

#3: Post by Thom MacMillan »

I have a Hario Skerton with the lower bearing upgrade. It does its job alright, but after using for 7 months and comparing the grind consistency with other grinders, I'm saving up to upgrade. If I were you I would put the $45 toward a quality hand grinder like the OE Lido 2.

That being said, I bought the Skerton off of Amazon in December and the lower bearing fit mine. I'm not sure what generation the grinder is though.

unix04

#4: Post by unix04 »

New models still require the upgrade, but you'll have to hit up the hardware store to see what works for the newer model. This thread could give you some ideas to go off of to mod it yourself if possible:

Hario Skerton / Open Top Hand Grinder Lid

I haven't used the OE mod on my older version, but I have modded it using some very cheap parts similar to what's posted on that thread. If you want to save trouble though, just buy the mod of OE. I think amazon sells the older version, and a friend of mine recently purchased one a couple weeks ago from amazon. His was able to use the OE mod.

That said, it's a very good entry level grinder AND it's portable. You will get some decent cups from it. I'm hoping to save enough for the LIDO 2. I'd consider electric options as well, but right now, if I can only have one, I will go manual since I like to take it around with me (especially camping!).