Non Invasive Delta Timer install for Mazzer Robur Help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RMG

#1: Post by RMG »

I am trying to install a Delta CTA4100A timer in a similar fashion to what trzynkaa did in his post Dose Timer Prototype - Non-Invasive. I would like to be able to plug my Robur directly into the timing unit and activate the timer by turning the Robur switch over to start and then having the timer reset after the time duration is up. I have very little experience with electronics. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out. I have a Robur with a doser. I removed both autofill microswitches in the doser. To start grinding I have to turn the switch over to start.

Parts
Delta CTA4100A timer
Omron G3NA-225B SSR
CR Magnetics CR9321-NPN Current switch

Configuration of Delta Timer
Count: Up
Output Mode: Signal on Delay 2
Displayed Unit: 0.1sec
Pulse width of Output1: 0=hold
Reset min pulse width: 20
Input type: NPN

I think i have the configuration of the timer right for what I am trying to do. When I plug the Robur into the timing unit nothing happens. The Robur light turns on when I switch the knob to on. When I turn the knob over to start the light goes out on the Robur and nothing happens. It seems like the CR Magnetics current switch is not giving the Delta timer a start signal. The wiring schematic for the Delta is a little vague. I have the mains hot running into Terminal 4 and the neutral running into Terminal 5. I have a hot jumper from Terminal 4 to Terminal 10 (Com). I have another hot wire running from Terminal 4 to Load 1 on the SSR. I have another hot wire running from Load 2 Terminal on the SSR through the CR Magnetics current switch to the hot terminal on an outlet that the Robur plugs into. I have a neutral wire running from Terminal 5 on the timer directly to the neutral Terminal on the outlet for the Robur. I then have one last neutral wire that runs from the Input 4 Terminal on the SSR to the neutral Terminal on the outlet for the Robur. I have a output wire running from Terminal 15 (Normally Open) on the timer to the Input 3 terminal on the SSR. Lastly I have the black negative wire from the Current Switch going to Terminal 11(OV) on the Delta timer and the red positive wire from the Current Switch going to Terminal 8(Start) on the timer. What am I doing wrong? I am not sure if there is a Normally Closed Terminal on the timer. Trzynkaa had the output wire running from the Normally Closed Terminal on the Omron timer to the SSR Input. Is there a normally closed terminal on the Delta Timer? If so, which one? Do I have the Current Switch wires in the correct Terminals on the Delta Timer? Is the Current Switch in the right place. Should it be between the timer and the SSR? I have not done anything with the ground wires. Not sure if that poses an immediate problem. Here is a drawing of what I have. I was playing with different output modes. I did find that when I put the timer in Power on Delay. The timer would start and at the end of the time period I could start my grinder. Obviously this setting does nothing for me. How do I make this setup work. Thank you.

Much Appreciation,

Rory

Advertisement
BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

When I removed the micro switches on my Robur, I jumped the circuits where the wires from the micro switches were plugged into. My grinder starts when the switch is moved to the on position, I never have to move it to the start position. Check out this thread Mazzer Kony - removing doser microswitch instructions, on the bottom of page 2 there is discussion about installing a dark room timer to a robur.

RMG (original poster)

#3: Post by RMG (original poster) »

When I originally removed the microswitches I jumped the terminals for both. I operated the Robur by just switching the grinder to on which started the motor instantly. I was not sure if my timing unit that I am trying to put together would work with the microswitches jumped based off of trzynkaa's description of his setup. I removed the jumper for the lower microswitch. I think that I am making some progress on my setup. It seems that output2 on the Delta timer offers a normally closed terminal. I wired the the hot jumper going to terminal 4 to 10 to 3 now. I them removed the output wire I had in terminal 15 and put it in terminal 2. This powers the SSR instantly. I can turn the grinder on but the timer does not start. The current switch is still not giving the timer a signal to start and stop.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

First I want to start by saying that I tried to read the timer manual and I gave up. Not that I couldn't figure it out given time, but wow.

As I look at what you're trying to do It's not clear to me that you can get there from here.

If you put the SSR Out and the Power switch on the Robur in parallel and the power switch on the Robur is momentary you can probably pull off the result you want. If you just expect to plug the Robur in to the box and have it all work like you want, I think you might have a problem.

Maybe if you set the timer to have the SSR always on and you keep the Robur off most of the time and then turn it on till the time stops it and then off again you might pull it off.

SSR on always, turn on Robur and it turns on because the SSR is on and it triggers the CR Magnetics switch to trigger the timer which turns off the SSR after the set time and then turns it back on a few seconds later. As long as you turn the Robur off before the timer turns it back on , you'll be fine. I don't really like the idea, but I don't see any other way given the pieces you have to work with. Not even sure the timer can be set up to do that.

Alternatively, put a small push button on the timer box, leave the Robur on always and press the button to start the timer.

And as I tried to say at the beginning, apologies if I got it all wrong.

RMG (original poster)

#5: Post by RMG (original poster) »

I have made some progress. The way I had it originally wired in my first post was not going to do anything for me. Output2 on the Delta timer has a normally closed circuit as well as a normally open circuit. Output1 only has a normally open circuit. I did not realize this originally. I wired a jumper over from terminal 4 to terminal 3, which acts as the Com port for Output 2. I then ran a wire from terminal 2, normally closed circuit, to Input 3 terminal on the SSR. The timer is working. I can power on my Robur and the timer starts. The problem that I am now having is that there is no reset signal. I am in signal on delay 1 mode. At the end of the timer cycle output 2 goes on, turning off the SSR, which in turn turns off the grinder. I have to manually hit the reset button to start the sequence over again. I have tried the other output settings. Signal on delay 2 works but keeps going in a cycle. I start the grinder the timer starts and stops, resets and then automatically starts up again. How can I stop the cycle. I tried adjusting the output time but that does not seem to help.

RMG (original poster)

#6: Post by RMG (original poster) »

I figured it out for what it's worth. I placed the negative wire from the current switch in terminal 8 and the positive wire from the current switch in terminal 6 and set the Delta timer in PNP mode instead of NPN mode. The timing unit now starts when I turn the grinder switch over to start and resets itself when the time duration ends. Not exactly sure why it works in this configuration. The CR Magnetics current switch I am using has an NpN transistor output. Now I just have to enclose the timing unit in a housing.