Nice looking grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Clint Orchuk

#1: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Found this locally on CL. Won't cut it as an espresso grinder, but I thought I could use it for other grinds. It's in great shape, has a cool design, and I really like the hand blown glass hopper. Made in Japan, but sold by a company named Jericho out of Portland Oregon. Looks like they're not made any more. It's hardly been used and the burrs are sharp. Does anyone know if these are burrs that are used in other grinders?

Advertisement
Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Discussion over at Coffeed.com suggests that burrs are no longer made/available but K/A Prolines supposedly substitute:

http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3337
-----
LMWDP #339

Richard

#3: Post by Richard »

That discussion is about a very different grinder, the KH-100. It is a significantly smaller grinder whose internals are pretty much identical to the KA Proline whereas the grinder pictured in this thread is a commercial-sized beast.
-- Richard

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Unless you are going to grind 100 pounds a week for the next four or five years, those burrs should be fine for a long time. They look similar to the burrs used in my Grindmaster 500, and those burrs are still available.
Pictured here: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/Coffee89.html
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

chang00

#5: Post by chang00 »

This grinder has been made by Fuji Royal of Japan for several years. It is a commercial grinder rated for 500g/min.

In Japan the model number is R-500. The Chinese version is R-550.

There was another smaller rebranded Jericho grinder which was/is still made by Kalita called Nice Cut.

Fuji Royal manufactures coffee roasters and grinders. The smallest gas coffee roaster called Discovery roasts 200g each batch.

http://www.fujiko-ki.co.jp/mill.htm

Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#6: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

I had seen that discussion on coffeed. Richard's right, this thing is enormous at 29 inches tall. It has a Toshiba motor in it and says 'made in Japan'. It's called a Jericho J-500.

Thanks for the link Randy. Those burrs look identical. I looked at the Fuji website and that R-500 is the same grinder. I haven't run any coffee through it yet. I've just cleaned it, but it didn't need much as it was used very little. The grinder has an adjustment from 1-10 with 20 detents. The chart on the grinder lists the grinds as:

1. Espresso
2. Melitta, Filtropa
3. Mr. Coffee, Bunn
4. Chemex
5. French Press
6. Cold Water Extraction
7. Percolator

It's easy to zero as the zero screw is right in the center of the adjustment wheel. Easy to get at the internals also. Just undo the two knurled nuts and the burrs are right there. The Jericho's pop up relatively often on Oregon Craigslists but they're usually pretty beaten.

LaDan

#7: Post by LaDan »

I'm curious why they put French Press at numbers 5 and 7, jumping over 6. ??

Or do they mean that everything from 5 to 7 is FP or cold brew?

Advertisement
Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#8: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Sorry Dan, a typo now corrected. Happens when you've got an 11 month old tornado trying to destroy your laptop.

LaDan

#9: Post by LaDan replying to Clint Orchuk »

Thank you for putting my coffee world back in order. ;)