"New" Hario Skerton?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#1: Post by orphanespresso »

We have been tossing the idea around of making a bearing upgrade for the "new" Hario Skerton. Simple enough eh? The problem is that no matter where we buy or how we try we cannot seem to find one of these elusive buggers.
Our only knowledge of this new Skerton is an email with photos of what was described as a Hario Skerton. The screws that held the retaining ring in a + pattern vs an X pattern and a white burr. The plastic burr retaining ring sockets were too close together to allow the bearing to drop into place so the upgrade bearing was not plug and play but file and plug and play. We are starting to wonder if this was some knockoff or that we have been pranked into actually being the ones who created what may be an urban myth.
When thinking about it, there is little sense that Hario would go to the trouble to change the tooling for the entire bottom part of the grinder...just to mess with OE.? Not likely.
So if anyone owns or has access to an actual bona fide NEW Hario Skerton ( no friend of a friend second hand reports please) we would really like to get positive confirmation on this thing.

BTW, We just got a NEW MODEL Skerton which now comes with a silicone hopper lid but all of the guts are the same old Skerton and our bearing drops right in.

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

232 views and so far no confirmation of a new Skerton. Hmmmm. We are going to Tokyo and SCAJ in September so we may yet uncover one, or not!

wsfarrell

#3: Post by wsfarrell »

Okay, this is second hand, but it sounds really interesting. There's a discussion at Amazon about fake Hario Skerton grinders. You mentioned white burrs. Here's one of the posts from that discussion:
-----------------------
I also recieved a fake sold by Coffee Direct USA. Here's how you can tell:

Real Skerton has 3 lines on the glass, fake one is smooth.
Real skerton comes with a lid for both parts of the grinder, fake only comes with a brush.
The packaging: Skerton comes in box with the brand name and the fake comes in an unlabeled brown box.
The Skerton's top bolt is smoother and tapers, the fake doesn't.
Real Skerton has a metal ring on the bottom of the grinder with the Hario stamp, the fake one does not.
Real Skerton has grey burr grinders, fake one has white burr grinders.
-----------------------
I think you got a fake.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

The odds of anyone getting to the bottom of this before you do aren't good, I reckon. 8)

Just in case, though, could it be the Kuissential?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

wsfarrell

#5: Post by wsfarrell »

I'd bet a nickel that the Kuissential is the "fake" that Amazonians were talking about---no 3 ribs on the glass, non-tapered bolt on top, etc.

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

orphanespresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#7: Post by orphanespresso (original poster) »

Thanks all! We will keep our eyes open but I do suspect that there is no such thing as a NEW Skerton, so the jokes on us :oops: . We have seen those Alibaba specials and about everything about them is wrong (starting with those colors!).
This has been an interesting exercise since it led me to reading dozens of pages of Amazon reviews about the Kuisesential grinder...wow do people have some different ideas about not only grinders (17 degrees of fineness?) but coffee in general! Frightening, actually.