A new grinder from Lyn Weber Workshops - "more precise than anything on the market" - Page 49

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kwantfm

#481: Post by kwantfm »

Everyone on HB (despite us not really being the target market) is aware of this company/grinder. P. T. Barnum would be proud.

Again, I'm waiting for someone who has actually used the EG-1 to comment... drum roll.
LMWDP #602

LATrapp

#482: Post by LATrapp »

Mrboots2u wrote: Let's see what Tom C has to say shortly - someone who will actually have a valid opinion on how it works, coz he has used it .......
In all respect to TomC as a moderator and I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack, but I'm getting less and less enthused that the review will be unbiased. I'm sorry to say it, but the passionate defense of LW (a site sponsor *EDIT*) on this thread is a bit of a letdown. I'm looking forward to that official review to draw out some of the facts, but I'll be much more interested to hear from the forum users who actually pay full price for one of these grinders.

"More precise than anything on the market" ...that you calibrate with your fingers??

Design that is obviously costly and well photographed and counter friendly....except for the vague description we have of a control box??

These are valid points, and plenty of other comments have raised some interesting issues. As the page count shows, there's a lot of interest! It sure looks like this will be a fun grinder to watch! :)

EDIT: Took out a inaccuracy about Craig having Tom over on Thanksgiving rather than later that weekend. Again, apologies if this sounds like any question on TomC's abilities to review the unit.

spearfish25

#483: Post by spearfish25 »

Tom, didn't you use it over the weekend?

kwantfm

#484: Post by kwantfm »

LATrapp wrote:In all respect to TomC as a moderator and I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack, but I'm getting less and less enthused that the review will be unbiased. I'm sorry to say it, but the passionate defense of LW (a site sponsor who apparently had him over for Thanksgiving holiday?) on this thread is a bit of a letdown.
Credibility of the source of any information always needs to be assessed. For mine, TomC has always displayed an impeccable level of integrity. From a practical point of view I don't expect that LWW would be able to make it worth his while to drop that standard.
LMWDP #602

TomC
Team HB

#485: Post by TomC »

LATrapp wrote:In all respect to TomC as a moderator and I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack, but I'm getting less and less enthused that the review will be unbiased. I'm sorry to say it, but the passionate defense of LW (a site sponsor who apparently had him over for Thanksgiving holiday?) on this thread is a bit of a letdown. I'm looking forward to that official review to draw out some of the facts, but I'll be much more interested to hear from the forum users who actually pay full price for one of these grinders.

"More precise than anything on the market" ...that you calibrate with your fingers??

Design that is obviously costly and well photographed and counter friendly....except for the vague description we have of a control box??

These are valid points, and plenty of other comments have raised some interesting issues. As the page count shows, there's a lot of interest! It sure looks like this will be a fun grinder to watch! :)
Fair enough, I'll clarify everything with facts.

I haven't made a single "passionate defense of LWW" other than to ask for concrete specific reasons why some were so quick to make judgements on something they know almost nothing about and have no firsthand experience with whatsoever.

I don't know where you got the impression that Craig hosted me as a guest for the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm with my mom and rest of my family in the Antelope Valley. This was planned back in June. Craig was originally going to drop it off at my place on a bay area trip to other cafes about 2.5 weeks ago, but timing and scheduling didn't allow for this. You're making some rather bold and inaccurate assumptions. I was with Craig for exactly 2 hours on Sunday afternoon before taking my kid brother on his very first specialty coffee crawl thru LA. Craig's residence is about 5 minutes away from Go Get Em Tiger, which was our first stop.

I receive absolutely no incentive to review or promote anything on Home-Barista. When I did the review of the HG-One, I paid full retail price for the unit I bought. The only special treatment I received was an autograph from both of them, because I thought it would be cool.

I have no intentions at all in giving a glossy biased look at the grinder. I'll play with it and see how well it serves my needs as an end user. Craig didn't lead with any suggestions towards me other than to tell me to "Play with it and you tell us what it works well for and what it doesn't". I asked specifically about the variable RPM and if they found any strong proof that it helped enhance either of those two preparation methods, and all he said was "you tell us".

So you do with that information what you will.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LATrapp

#486: Post by LATrapp »

kwantfm wrote:Credibility of the source of any information always needs to be assessed. For mine, TomC has always displayed an impeccable level of integrity. From a practical point of view I don't expect that LWW would be able to make it worth his while to drop that standard.
I agree with that 1000%. I'm not saying it's a calculated or intentional bias, just that the review might be starting at 'innocent until proven guilty' rather than 'this product might be awesome, or it might suck'.

TomC
Team HB

#487: Post by TomC »

spearfish25 wrote:Tom, didn't you use it over the weekend?

I just did for the first time. :mrgreen:

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

double0

#488: Post by double0 »

LATrapp

#489: Post by LATrapp »

TomC wrote:Fair enough, I'll clarify everything with facts. And I haven't made a single "passionate defense of LWW" other than to ask for concrete specific reasons why some were so quick to make judgements on something they know almost nothing about and have no firsthand experience with whatsoever.

I don't know where you got the impression that Craig hosted me as a guest for the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm with my mom and rest of my family in the Antelope Valley. This was planned back in June. Craig was originally going to drop it off at my place on a bay area trip to other cafes about 2.5 weeks ago, but timing and scheduling didn't allow for this. You're making some rather bold and inaccurate assumptions. I was with Craig for exactly 2 hours on Sunday afternoon before taking my kid brother on his very first specialty coffee crawl thru LA. Craig's residence is about 5 minutes away from Go Get Em Tiger, which was our first stop.

I receive absolutely no incentive to review or promote anything on Home-Barista. When I did the review of the HG-One, I paid full retail price for the unit I bought. The only special treatment I received was an autograph from both of them, because I thought it would be cool.

I have no intentions at all in giving a glossy biased look at the grinder. I'll play with it and see how well it serves my needs as an end user. Craig didn't lead with any suggestions towards me other than to tell me to "Play with it and you tell us what it works well for and what it doesn't". I asked specifically about the variable RPM and if they found any strong proof that it helped enhance either of those two preparation methods, and all he said was "you tell us".

So you do with that information what you will.
Apologies. I'm on my phone so can't go back to search but I thought you said something about picking it up during Thanksgiving. I will delete that from my post when I return to a computer and again I apologize.

My gut feeling is that some of the questions and issues being raised by those who have never seen the grinder in person are at least reasonable even if they appear cynical or negative.

Seacoffee

#490: Post by Seacoffee »

It is not a complex device to be able to envisage it even without having a real one in front of you.