A new grinder from Lyn Weber Workshops - "more precise than anything on the market" - Page 43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
weebit_nutty

#421: Post by weebit_nutty »

I see a debate coming, so let me put my word in before this thread gets locked :lol:
If LW decided it was good business to outsource the production to their trusted partners in Taiwan, so be it. I see no reason to question the quality.

They seem to be doing great with their HG-1.. Very high quality product, for which I am a proud owner. But yes, everyone has their prerogative to buy only American made. That's fine too. I'm all for supporting our economy, but remember it's LW is still an American company, as is Apple and many other companies that produce very high quality products. Just so happens we live in a global economy now. So get with the times. America is struggling to stay on top. Competition is good and keeps innovation healthy and alive.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

day

#422: Post by day »

Fausto wrote:I think you need to do a little bit of reading. Taiwan and The People's Republic of China are not one in the same. Taiwan (where this is made) is historically considered to be on the receiving end of the abuse.
I was waiting for that response:) I am quite aware, but the specifics of Taiwans legal status is a debate of its own, and has no overall impact on the overall impications. Obviously none of the employees in a country known for human rights violations should be held accountable for being underpaid and/or abused. Nontheless the perception of choosing those countries for manufacturing of high end products is clear though still prevalent, and without sufficient context and evidence that this is an exception to the norm is obviously in opposed to the core of the third wave movement.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

day

#423: Post by day »

For the record the quality of these products is so obvious I fully intend to at least get an hg1 one day no matter the origin.

Nonetheless, The marketing on the manufacturing page just sounds too absurd imo, I actually laughed aloud when I first read the page on the lww site about it, but maybe I am in a minority:)
weebit_nutty wrote:I see a debate coming, so let me put my word in before this thread gets locked :lol:
If LW decided it was good business to outsource the production to their trusted partners in Taiwan, so be it. I see no reason to question the quality.

They seem to be doing great with their HG-1.. Very high quality product, for which I am a proud owner. But yes, everyone has their prerogative to buy only American made. That's fine too. I'm all for supporting our economy, but remember it's LW is still an American company, as is Apple and many other companies that produce very high quality products. Just so happens we live in a global economy now. So get with the times. America is struggling to stay on top. Competition is good and keeps innovation healthy and alive.
I hear what your saying, but the human rights violations in apple manufacturing is a perfect example of how a decision like that could backfire for some when targeting such a specific clientele as this grinder seems to. One focused on quality, beans, grind, details and along with that production to one or degree or another.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#424: Post by orphanespresso »

Please do be specific - Taiwan (Republic of China, or ROC) is an island off the eastern coast of Mainland China. It is not the same country as the People's Republic of China (Mainland China, or PRC).

Apple is manufactured in Mainland China. HG-one was manufactured in Mainland China - Where the current production is, I don't know.

Orphan Espresso grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Baratza grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Many parts & assemblies for Mahlkonig grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Ratio, Marzocco, Ditting, WMF, Schaerer all make parts in Taiwan. Triumph, Harley Davidson, Craftsman, Weber all make parts in Taiwan (saw them at the factory this week...) Not speculation - I have personally seen them...

TomC
Team HB

#425: Post by TomC »

A bit of necessary history lesson for the audience here, to put things in perspective. Craig and Paul, when they first designed the HG-One (now HG-1) approached several firms here stateside. They didn't even receive a SINGLE response of an interested company in the US. They wanted to get it built here, and made a good effort to do so. Yet they had numerous offers from Taiwanese/Chinese firms and they came quickly and easily.

I appreciate OrphanEspresso's commentary on the matter. It helps when you get to hear some perspective from someone who actually has first hand (real) knowledge of the topic at hand.

FWIW, I'll pick up the EG-1 this Sunday, and I'm planning on doing a cafe crawl in the LA area, but separately from anything EG-1 related.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

malling

#426: Post by malling »

day wrote:I was waiting for that response:) I am quite aware, but the specifics of Taiwans legal status is a debate of its own, and has no overall impact on the overall impications. Obviously none of the employees in a country known for human rights violations should be held accountable for being underpaid and/or abused. Nontheless the perception of choosing those countries for manufacturing of high end products is clear though still prevalent, and without sufficient context and evidence that this is an exception to the norm is obviously in opposed to the core of the third wave movement.
Seriously, before criticizing a company and the country it choose to outsource it too. Please take a closer look at your own! As long as your own country can't live up to human rights it's hard to take such bold statement seriously.

Working poor jobs - food stamps et all

Ps. It should not be taken as criticism of the usa

And please read up on geography and history, only sertain Chinese agree with you idea of Taiwan

As someone else has already mentioned, Taiwan is also known for high quality engineering and manufacturing it is no coincidence that allot of companies has their products made or partly made or use parts made in Taiwan

TomC
Team HB

#427: Post by TomC »

Further discussions about geography and human rights etc, topics completely unrelated to coffee and coffee grinders will be removed. Please keep this thread on topic.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Seacoffee

#428: Post by Seacoffee »

Thanks Tom, Really going to value your report on the EG-1 after you have played with it.

spearfish25

#429: Post by spearfish25 »

TomC wrote: FWIW, I'll pick up the EG-1 this Sunday, and I'm planning on doing a cafe crawl in the LA area, but separately from anything EG-1 related.
I'm looking forward to some videos if you have time.

day

#430: Post by day »

TomC wrote:
FWIW, I'll pick up the EG-1 this Sunday, and I'm planning on doing a cafe crawl in the LA area, but separately from anything EG-1 related.
Looking forward to this as well, a some videos of course will be great as will seeing if grinds actually cling and clump around the burrs (just out of curiosity.
orphanespresso wrote:Please do be specific - Taiwan (Republic of China, or ROC) is an island off the eastern coast of Mainland China. It is not the same country as the People's Republic of China (Mainland China, or PRC).

Apple is manufactured in Mainland China. HG-one was manufactured in Mainland China - Where the current production is, I don't know.

Orphan Espresso grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Baratza grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Many parts & assemblys for Mahlkonig grinders are manufactured in Taiwan. Ratio, Marzocco, Ditting, WMF, Schaerer all make parts in Taiwan. Triumph, Harley Davidson, Craftsman, Weber all make parts in Taiwan (saw them at the factory this week...) Not speculation - I have personally seen them...
Thanks for your perspective. While I was not actually personally saying anything negative about the quality of the area, and certainly not this grinder ( or yours or baratza) it is great to hear from those on the ground that have personal coffee equipment manufacturing experience.