New burr break-in made quick and easy for a dosered grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

The last marathon of grinding 5 pounds of stale coffee thru my Mazzer Major's new burrs was tedious and a major pain to clean up. This next round, I wanted to run my vacuum and just suck out the grinds as they exited the output chute. I had wanted to try this idea, but I was greatly concerned about a static electricity spark or other bad mojo causing a nasty flash burn (similar to dry powdered creamer over an open flame) so I tried it in tiny bits first. Slightly reassured, I soldiered on and ran the new bag of 6 pounds through without any problem, one hopper at a time with 15 minute breaks to let the motors cool down. All in all, it was much cleaner and easier, with only a vacuum cleaner bag change.

I wish I had a shop vac and could do this outside, it'd be even easier.

A regular YouTube video would no doubt be better, but my IG post will have to suffice for now.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

I've used similar method for dosered and doserless grinders for a number of years. Only difference I don't wait between hopper loads! Since I run ~20lb through M7Ds when new or replacing burrs I've found they shut down via thermal safety after about 3rd hopper then have to wait to cool down. (I made a post about killing my new M7D after happened my first M7D break in) I tape the shop vac nozzle to the exit chute and with grinder in continuous mode tape the button down and let her rip. And yes they get blazing hot by the time they shut down!
Mike McGinness