New Baratza Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso $275

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brokemusician77

#1: Post by brokemusician77 »

Just read this on the forums over at CG:
vvyk3d wrote:Emailed Baratza today asking them for more information between maestro plus and virtuoso and was given this small nugget of info.
  • In March we will be introducing a new grinder, the Virtuoso Preciso ($275). It is a Virtuoso with the addition of a micro adjustment.

We feel that it will be a perfect home grinder. Accurate enough to be a really good espresso grinder and yet easy to adjust for any style of coffee.

I probably should not have mentioned the Preciso, it will just make your decision harder.

Best wishes
    Kyra

Vice President
    Baratza LLC
    925-314-0475
Didn't see anything when I did a search so figured I would share the information.
Wish I'd have found this before shelling out the big bucks for a Vario.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

Baratza
Sponsor

#2: Post by Baratza »

I guess the secret is out.....Baratza will soon introduce a new grinder, the Virtuoso Preciso. The Preciso is a Virtuoso with the addition of a Micro adjustment mechanism. The full range of the Micro adjustment (11 positions) is equal to one step in the Macro adjustment. This Micro adjustment combines the precise tuning ability of a stepless grinder with the ease of adjustability that the Virtuoso is famous for. The Preciso now moves the Virtuoso up-market to be a truly great espresso grinder while retaining all of the features that have made the Virtuoso our best selling grinder for the last 3 years. The Preciso uses the same conical burrs and timer switch as the Virtuoso. Available March 2010.

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Excellent, it goes to "11." :lol:
Scott
LMWDP #248

Beezer

#4: Post by Beezer »

It's one louder, isn't it?

Anyway, this should make the Virtuoso much more appealing for espresso use. I wonder if they're still using the cheap plastic burr carrier though. That seemed to be the other big weakness with the Virtuoso and Maestro grinders. For $275, it should be brass or some other metal, not plastic.
Lock and load!

JonR10

#5: Post by JonR10 »

Beezer wrote:For $275, it should be brass or some other metal, not plastic.
I believe that all of the other similarly-priced 38mm conical grinders have plastic burr carriers.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Beezer

#6: Post by Beezer »

Really? I haven't checked them out, but I'll take your word for it. It seems strange though when cheaper grinders like the MDF have brass carriers.

My concern with plastic carriers is that they can flex and create an inconsistent grind, plus they may not be as durable. As I recall, that was one of the chief complaints about the Maestro and Virtuoso grinders when used for grinding espresso. But we'll have to see how the new one fares. Seems like it should be competitive now that it has better fine tuning for the grind adjustment.
Lock and load!

JonR10

#7: Post by JonR10 »

Beezer wrote:My concern with plastic carriers is that they can flex and create an inconsistent grind, plus they may not be as durable.
Actually, I think the complaint about Virtuoso for espresso has been the lack of precision for grind settings. It would appear that this new grinder addresses that issue.

As for the plastic carriers on the conical grinders, I've had 2 of these and one of them was used for espresso daily for a couple of years with very good results. That grinder is still a backup for me and about to go out "on loan" to a friend who is just starting out.

FWIW - my experience has been that other parts of these grinders wear out before the carrier. The main issue with some of the plastic-carrier grinders was a 2-point mounting allowing too much play in the assembly, but the grinders that have a 3-point mount for the carrier seem to do just fine (Vanelli's Mini-Pro, Pasquini Lux, Nemox Lux, LaPavoni PGC and PGB, etc...)
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

kyle anderson
Sponsor

#8: Post by kyle anderson »

Preciso burr carrier:

The Preciso burr carrier is made of the same fiberglass-reinforced injection molded thermal plastic as the Virtuoso burr carrier. This burr carrier sits on a three-point support for precise positioning. We have found the rigidity, stability and durability of this material to equal any cast metal alternatives. Please let me know if there are any further questions about this material or any other construction issues with the Preciso or Virtuoso.
Regards,
Kyle

brokemusician77 (original poster)

#9: Post by brokemusician77 (original poster) »

The top burr carrier on my Virt. cracked after about 6 months use. I'm not sure what would have done this. two big cracks, one up either side. Thankfully, it was still under warranty so the dealer sent me a new one free of charge.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

kyle anderson
Sponsor

#10: Post by kyle anderson »

On occasion (rarely) we have seen Virtuoso burr carriers where the molding process was not complete. This can result in parts that do not have the all the strength they were designed to have. Alternatively, we have seen the occasional stone (or other rigid foreign objects i.e. nail, screw, etc) get between the burrs and produce enough upward force to crack the burr holder. The burr holder is a kind of "fuse" that is designed to fail when design loads are exceeded. This should never occur under normal loads. If there is ever any question as to the failure of these burr carriers we are quick to send a replacement free of charge.
I hope this sheds some light on this issue.
Kyle