New Baratza grinder: the Sette Series - Page 69

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Clint Orchuk

#681: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Our Sette 270 just arrived tonight. Wills start to play with it tomorrow. 270W hopefully later in August

Compass Coffee

#682: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Clint Orchuk »

I received UPS notification something had shipped from Baratza but nada from Baratza. Will know when package arrives today whether 270, 270W or both.
Mike McGinness

johnny4lsu

#683: Post by johnny4lsu »

Got mine today. Any idea how to calibrate it to use for brew? It's calibrated for espresso at the moment and barely gets coarse enough for drip.

Calendar

#684: Post by Calendar »

Are these purchased grinders people are getting? Or are they testing/evaluation/review units?

johnny4lsu

#685: Post by johnny4lsu »

Resellers got the option to purchase early units. Not sure if they will be changed from here.

Boldjava

#686: Post by Boldjava »

johnny4lsu wrote:Got mine today. Any idea how to calibrate it to use for brew? It's calibrated for espresso at the moment and barely gets coarse enough for drip.
Johnny, SCG has a pdf: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/asset ... -guide.pdf
-----
LMWDP #339

johnny4lsu

#687: Post by johnny4lsu »

Thanks. That actually came with the grinder. Even at the most coarse setting its still way too fine.

Clint Orchuk

#688: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Ours is one of the units offered to resellers. 270W is supposed to ship August 9. They look amazing. Got into a marathon bakefest this morning (pastries, not coffee) and still haven't had a chance to try it out.

day

#689: Post by day »

johnny4lsu wrote:Thanks. That actually came with the grinder. Even at the most coarse setting its still way too fine.
Even after making all the adjustments and removing washers? What type of brew is it for?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Compass Coffee

#690: Post by Compass Coffee »

Received my 270 last afternoon yesterday. TIP: I believe the current quick start directions for espresso of 5 -E were for before they recalibrated finer. First ground (Delirium) with 10 seconds default at default 5 - E and weighed output. Too much. Reduced time to 8.5 seconds started again with motor stall after about 4 sec (counter kept going). Opened up grind and stayed stalled. Required dropping burr to get going again. Tried again stalled again. Said to heck with it and went home to play a bit more with new Slayer.

This morning dropped burr and cleared again and opened up to 9 - E. Too coarse but not by that much. Ended up dialing in 7 - E'ish 4.4 seconds ~19g for shot on Cynrca 12 sec pre-infusion to 9 bar until 35 sec back to line pressure to 40sec end same as pulling via M7D. Quite good shot. Took out the Delirium and replaced with Colombia that was in the Major and ran it for the day no problems. (Which isn't saying much at the slow Roastery bar, maybe 6 more grind and pulls of the Colo'!) Busy roasting and didn't do any direct head to head shot tasting...

Cautiously optimistic. Of course zero illusions it will have any kind of robustness like a commercial grinder.

Oh the PF forks and retainer on the 270W will have to be very different or won't work with 58mm nekkid...attempting hands free with 270 doesn't work with PF.
Mike McGinness