New Baratza Grinder - Forte - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#51: Post by pcrussell50 »

bostonbuzz wrote:The only thing I care about (and every dissatisfied vario owner as well) is how well does it hold a grind setting, and how accurate is changing the grind setting. I.e. does it take a while to set it when you change a micro 1 or 2 clicks, or is it just there? Is the lever mechanism solid feeling and made of metal, or is it still plasticy?
Re: The garden variety Vario, (not the Forte):
There is a lot of plastic inside, or at least there appears to be from the feel of the adjustment mechanism when you make adjustments. You can feel the flexing when you move the levers, or at least it seems like it. I've never disassembled mine, (or needed to), to verify those sensations.

But I suffer from NONE of the frustrations described above. How? Operating under the assumption that I'm right about the flexy plastic internals, I operate the machine in a way that neutralizes the possibility of setting-drift caused by residual strain in a flexed plastic. So my Vario behaves exactly as expected.

I hope there aren't too many people that unnecessarily spent twice the cost of a Vario on a Super Jolly*, for the same grind quality. Or worse, bought a Mazzer Mini and are suffering lower grind quality and worse espresso in the name of a more robust feel.

*Don't get me wrong. I like Super Jollys. I enjoy their cultishness. And I always have my eye out for them at the right price.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Intrepid510

#52: Post by Intrepid510 »

Do tell how do you use your Vario then?

IMAWriter

#53: Post by IMAWriter »

pcrussell50 wrote: I hope there aren't too many people that unnecessarily spent twice the cost of a Vario for the same grind quality. Or worse, bought a Mazzer Mini and are suffering lower grind quality and worse espresso in the name of a more robust feel.

-Peter
Actually, it's not the SAME grind quality. The Vario does an excellent job, IMO equal to the SJ. Also in my opinion, the Forte does a BETTER job than an SJ, as there is that almost "conical" thing in the (forgive the musical terminology) "upper mid range."
I also had no issues with the Vario, or my Vario W.
That said, again, IMO for many reasons, including a discernible flavor boost, I am super happy with the Forte.
You have to USE the Forte to understand why all the little things, plus the bigger things make it a worthy upgrade. It is actually $350 more than the Vario W. Things In should have mentioned are the perfect cone it dispenses with NO spray, not a drop of stray grind. The PF holder worked perfectly the OEM Duetto PF and the Rancilio necked PF.

pcrussell50

#54: Post by pcrussell50 »

Should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to the Forte when I was talking about $1000 grinders with no better grind quality than the Vario. I was talking about Super Jollys and the expensive Minis like the -E. I'm already gathering that the Forte is better than those and the Vario.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

IMAWriter

#55: Post by IMAWriter »

pcrussell50 wrote:Should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to the Forte when I was talking about $1000 grinders with no better grind quality than the Vario. I was talking about Super Jollys and the expensive Minis like the -E. I'm already gathering that the Forte is better than those and the Vario and.

-Peter
Peter, having only passing experience with a K10, Robur, etc, I would never say the Vario BETTER than these big grinders. Certainly (for many) more "home friendly." I've had a bit more experience with the Mahlkonig K30. That's maybe a close match feature to feature to the Forte, at a significantly larger price tag.
The Baratza Vario despite the less hardy construction of the Forte, is ubiquitous as a pour-over grinder at nearly every cafe (8 that I've visited) in Music City. In see several in every cafe.
I expect that to continue with the Forte too, if only for that fact it's got a more powerful motor, and can handle a heavier load.

pcrussell50

#56: Post by pcrussell50 »

K10's and Roburs are titan-class grinders. I would never presume to put the Vario in that class. Did it sound like I was?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

IMAWriter

#57: Post by IMAWriter replying to pcrussell50 »

No sir. I was afraid I might have sounded like I was. I'm just trying to do my best to describe the differences and similarities of the Forte and Vario, not so much compare either to any other grinder.
I believe I made it clear that in NO WAY would I necessarily place the Vario on the same shelf as a $1500-$2500 grinder.
If possible, like to keep the focus of Evan's (the OP's subject) on track.
Perhaps I shouldn't have even included the Vario. I did so so that folks considering an upgrade might find some answers delivered by an owner of both.

Hopefully, some others who now own a Forte might chime in.

damonbowe

#58: Post by damonbowe replying to IMAWriter »

Logic dictates that you must put it in the same class, based on the Titan grinder project which showed that the super jolly was comparable. Because the the forte is about as good ad the super jolly, the transitive grinder theorem dictates that yes, you can compare to titans!

BTD1986

#59: Post by BTD1986 replying to damonbowe »

There are more aspects of a grinder than taste in the cup that classify a grinder to be a "Titan". While a forte is a big step up from a vario, it still would not be able to keep up with the demand and volume in a commercial setting the way a large conical could.

IMAWriter

#60: Post by IMAWriter replying to BTD1986 »

I would not dispute that point. As to comparisons to the SJ, I'd say (as I've said before having owned to very fine SJ's) that for the home, Vario, IMO is a better choice. It's neater, there is negligible waste, and the grind quality and flavor profile is equal, and I found the I got more consistent shots with the Vario. The SJ is a battleship, so there is that to consider.
To clarify, the Forte is, IMO a big step up in usability, and has retained and refined the best aspects of the Vario. Focusing strictly on the Forte, IMO it is a superior to the SJ for my purposes, as well as heavier usage in cafes.
Part of that superiority to an SJ, even higher priced flat burr grinders is the Forte's ability to do a bang up job the coarser grinds, providing improved clarity and complexity in that brewing style.

I'm still a work in progress regarding the nForte, as I'm not pulling lever shots in my home.....YET.
Soon, I hope.