Need replacement burrs for vintage Quickmill bulk grinder

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jacferhog

#1: Post by jacferhog »

I am in search of some burrs for my recently (and extremely cheaply acquired) Quickmill bulk grinder:

These are the burrs:

The measurements are as follows:

OD: 85mm
ID: 58mm
10mm thick

The ID could go down to 52mm (and might actually work better like that). At present, the rotation is RH, but I can easily reverse the direction of the motor. I am also happy to tap the carriers to take burrs that have three screws.
I'm hoping, with some modifications, that this could be a cracking, and basically free grinder. I'm hoping to pair it with a Gaggia Orione I've currently got on the work bench - a sort of Londinium/EK43 pairing 1960s style.

Thanks in advance for any help the collective wisdom of the forum can put forward.

J.
LMWDP #452.

civ

#2: Post by civ »

Hello:
jacferhog wrote: OD: 85mm
ID: 58mm
10mm thick
The ID could go down to 52mm ...
I have a table that (I think) I got from the Ascaso site, cannot recall.

In it there are very few burrs with large size ODs:

Brand: Aristarco
Reference: MC-55
OD: 84.0
ID: 46.0
T: 9.0

Brand: Brasilia
Reference: MC-78
OD: 83.0
ID: 45.0
T: 10.0

Brand: Casadio ISA
Reference: MC-28
OD: 84.0
T: 10.5

Brand: Fiorenzato
Reference: MC-12
OD: 83.0
T: 9.5

Ascaso makes a lot of OEM burrs, I expect my list is not complete but I see the Quick-Mill brand is not on it.

In this link http://www.repuestos-hosteleria.com/ they list spare parts for many grinder brands:

---
Spare parts for all brands:
ANFIM
ASCASO
AZKOYEN
OBEL BREGANT
CIMBALINO
COMPAK
CUNILL
DODGE
ELEKTRA
EUREKA
EXPOBAR
FAEMA
FIORENZATO
FUTURMAT
GAGGIA 2600
GAGGIA ITALIA
CASA / IBERITAL
MACAP
MARKIBAR
MAZZER
ORTEGA
QUALITY
QUAMAR
RANCILIO
ROSSI
MINI-MOLINO
SAN MARCO
SANTOS
SIMONELLI
VFA EXPRES
---

But alas, not Quick-Mill.

Drop them an e-mail, maybe they can help you out.
Or try Quick-Mill directly.

http://www.quickmill.it/
http://www.quickmill.it/MyIndex.php?Lan ... Sotto_cat=

Cheers.

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by contraflow88 »

I think a viable option in this case would be to retrofit the Mazzer Major 83mm burrs. They are probably the closest in diameter to what you have at the moment. There is also the Compak K8 burrs also. This is definitely going to require some work though due to the 3 bolt pattern. Another option is to purchase the Mazzer Major burr holder and fit that in to the shaft.

jacferhog (original poster)

#4: Post by jacferhog (original poster) »

You might be right on the Mazzer 83mm burrs, but my concern is that they won't work with the existing augur shaft.
As things stand, the beans feed here:

This augur draws them towards the burrs (not mounted here but you can see the four mounting holes):

The outer burr is mounted here:

The grinds exit below (the half circle you can see in the third photograph). The outer burrs mount is also the augur chamber. As you can see, space is limited, and a smaller ID could restrict the movement of the beans.
I'm in a bit of a quandry about it all.

J.
LMWDP #452.

Beenbag

#5: Post by Beenbag »

jacferhog wrote:....At present, the rotation is RH, but I can easily reverse the direction of the motor..
J.
You wont be able to reverse the rotation if you want to retain the Auger as it is !! :o
..so be sure to look for RH burrs only. ( the Mazzer and Compak are both LH !)
A couple of ideas..
Have you exhausted all the Quick Mill options..dealers, importers, and factory etc ?
Some burrs can be sharpened/reconditioned relatively easily by a precision tool shop. ?

jpboyt

#6: Post by jpboyt »

Mazzer Major (83mm) are right handed (clockwise rotation) burrs. What is puzzling is that the burrs in the photo are left handed. What I would be tempted to do (machinist in me) is measure the rotating and stationary burr holders for the step diameter and depth. A Mazzer burr has a 76.3mm inner diameter (recess diameter, not center hole) and the step is 2.0mm. If this works dimensionally I would then drill and tap the holders for a three hole pattern. The holes in the Mazzer burr are almost 6mm so it looks like it would need a 5mm screw. Changing the screw holes once would solve your burr problem forever as I don't think there will ever be a shortage of Major burrs in the foreseeable future.
I am also puzzled as to how you change the rotation...
jpboyt

jpboyt

#7: Post by jpboyt »

Never mind... Auger is for a left hand rotation. Mazzer burrs won't work. I would still look at drilling holes for a burr set that you can get your hands on.
Sorry, my bad.
jpboyt

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

The Ditting burrs for a Bunzilla are 80mm OD, 9.4mm thick and 40mm ID. If you could live with the ID, they are great burrs. You could probably enlarge the hole of one of the burrs somewhat.

Ira

quickpeter

#9: Post by quickpeter »

dear jacferhog

in my opinion is this a left turning grinder burr..
i have this machine also and curious how you fixed the grinder burr problem.

greetings from the netherlands

jacferhog (original poster)

#10: Post by jacferhog (original poster) »

You are quite right, these are left-handed burrs. I am curently working on a solution - am actually going for a chat with my machinist later today, so will keep you posted. Essentially, what I have in mind is the use of burrs of a proximate size, and some modifications to the grinder to suit. After a lot of research, this seems the only workable solution to get this beauty up and running.
Watch this space.

J.
LMWDP #452.