My own HG One came today - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by mgrayson »

I know why we all love this grinder. It's the Ordeal of the Rice. Afterwards, there is the bonding that comes of shared suffering. :wink:

After two boxes, 17.5 grams went from 50 turns to 40 on 83mm TiN aftermarkets. The turns were easier (or maybe that's arm strength developed by the OotR). I also noted that the grind setting had to be tightened 5 notches to get back to a 25 second pull. It was 35 turns at the old setting, but that yielded a gusher.

Taste and goopy striped shots are excellent. Overall, a fine cure for Robur lust!

Best,

Matt

keno

#32: Post by keno »

My new HG one with TiN burrs arrives tomorrow, just in time for the weekend! Got a big box (42 oz) of Minute Rice which equals three of the 14 oz boxes. Hoping that my 10 year old son will want to grind most of that. :)

rpavlis

#33: Post by rpavlis »

All that ground minute rice, remember, makes excellent breakfast cereal, especially when cooked in milk with, perhaps a bit of cinnamon for extra flavour.

After I got mine, (With TiN burrs) I decided to try to "dial it in" to get about the right setting for espresso, and then I ground minute rice with the grinder sitting on the floor. After I got mine down to about 20 turns for 14 grams, I never ground any more rice. Ultimately after grinding about 1.6 kg of rice, the number of turns about halved. In about three months since then of grinding perhaps 50 g/day the number of turns has fallen further. It is now more sensitive to the type of coffee. Some coffees come close to 1 gram per turn, about 14 turns for 14 grams, but others are around 18 turns for 14 grams.

I find the "blind tumbler" to be an ideal way to load the basket. I stir the ground mixture first with the tumbler's centre in place, then put it over the filter basket, remove the centre piece and stir it again. i tap it lightly to level and remove the blind tumbler.

wrz0170 (original poster)

#34: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) »

mgrayson wrote:I know why we all love this grinder. It's the Ordeal of the Rice. Afterwards, there is the bonding that comes of shared suffering. :wink:

After two boxes, 17.5 grams went from 50 turns to 40 on 83mm TiN aftermarkets. The turns were easier (or maybe that's arm strength developed by the OotR). I also noted that the grind setting had to be tightened 5 notches to get back to a 25 second pull. It was 35 turns at the old setting, but that yielded a gusher.

Taste and goopy striped shots are excellent. Overall, a fine cure for Robur lust!

Best,

Matt
+1 This. My shoulder hurt for a week after the first box. I then rationalized go through a pound and go to the the 2nd box. I am now on my 2nd pound of bean but will get to that 2nd box. And eventually the third. I think.....

billt

#35: Post by billt »

Why not rationalise it completely and just grind coffee and drink it? I'm mystified why people want to waste food, time and energy on grinding rice!

Had mine for a week; the first coffee was terrible, but that was because I hadn't realised that the funnel kept nearly half of it to itself. After that they've all been drinkable.

wrz0170 (original poster)

#36: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) replying to billt »

This is why the remaining rice is still in the box...... :mrgreen: I think there is some merit to seasoning the burrs. I went quickly from the mid 70s for 18g to the lower 40s after I ran the first box of rice.

rpavlis

#37: Post by rpavlis »

Using the ground rice for cereal is still a great idea!

I think grinding beyond a kg or so of rice does not make much sense. Probably 500 grams or so is enough.

However I still like the cereal!

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by mgrayson »

This post from a related thread has a good discussion of the value of seasoning.
2014 HG one grinder

I was just grinding coffee until I read that and then continued with the rice. I'm still surprised at the moderate improvement that nearly 2 lbs. of rice made, but since the 40 turns are easy and fast, I'm not concerned. Perhaps I ground the rice too coarse. It was difficult and very noisy, so I didn't want to go finer.

Best,

Matt

dave_in_gva

#39: Post by dave_in_gva »

Hi everyone,

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on one of these to replace my Mini. Nothing wrong with the Mini - I've converted it to doserless and have a workflow that gives me consistent shots. But I must admit the design and build quality of the HG One have really been working on me of late.

Can someone tell me whether the blind tumbler is included with the grinder? I believe it is, but have become somewhat confused by seeing the tumbler listed for sale as a separate item.

Thanks,

Dave M

pumpkinscastle

#40: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Yes, blind tumbler is included and works great.

After seasoning my HG one with five pounds of stale coffee, I am just using it. My shots are great, and I am too lazy to try rice or grind more old coffee.