My own HG One came today - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Beanz

#21: Post by Beanz »

rpavlis wrote:You need to print out a Braille table to read the letters on the scale.
Thank you for that, somehow I had totally missed this bit of information in the past. Now it makes more sense.

wrz0170 (original poster)

#22: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) »

pumpkinscastle wrote:
Yes, it is possible to pull fantastic shots without much priming. Also, I noticed very little static, and I wasn't even using RDT at all. We have approx. 50% humidity in our house. For me, so far at least, static is not an issue at all.

Redistribution: I have been doing this. The one time I didn't the shot was uneven. Perhaps that was due to other issues. Until I get a better idea of the HG one, I will keep doing WDT.
Good stuff on your experience so far! With your WDT, do you stir the grounds within the blind tumbler and then release into your portafilter?

While still inconclusive for me, I would stir within the blind tumbler, release into the PF and carefully lift the tumbler. The grounds are so fluffy, I would lightly tap the bottom on my tamping mat to settle the ground some and then use my finger to spread it a bit more evenly. Tamp and pull. Using 18g in a VST basket. My last shot had a tiny spritzer and the cone was a bit off center.

elusiven

#23: Post by elusiven »

My 83mm TIN aftermarket arrived early last week and after the initial break in period (I really was not prepared mentally for how unpleasant grinding that first box of instant rice would be, BTW), I've been trying to be as non-fussy as possible with my prep and getting great results. Granted, I'm using the anti-static wiper, but RDT or WDT haven't been required to get near-perfect naked extractions. The only thing I'm doing is stirring the grinds a little in the blind tumbler with the glass rod, and then leveling the basket with my finger (Stockfleth?).

This had been one of the few upgrades I've ever made without a twinge of regret, as the improvement in the cup is unambiguous.
LMWDP #497

weebit_nutty

#24: Post by weebit_nutty »

elusiven wrote:...WDT haven't been required to get near-perfect naked extractions. The only thing I'm doing is stirring the grinds a little in the blind tumbler with the glass rod
That *is* WDT. Congrats on your acquisition.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

elusiven

#25: Post by elusiven »

Oh my bad, I just assumed that WDT was only done in the actual basket with like a finer tool (pin/dental pick) with the intension of distributing/breaking up clumps. (and thank you!)
LMWDP #497

weebit_nutty

#26: Post by weebit_nutty replying to elusiven »

Actually you're probably right... But I think WDT had become synonymous for redistribution, which is what you were doing with the glass rod. It's certainly easier to type on my little phone keyboard!
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by mgrayson »

HG-One arrived yesterday. Ditto all praises for first impressions. I had a lot of static cling in the funnel without the wiper, RDT or no, but it's getting dry here in the fall. Better after installing wiper. It's 50 turns for 17.5 g of beans, so I'll forego break-in and just use it. The word that comes to my mind when I sip the result is "clean". It makes bright coffees more palatable as the brightness is just one characteristic that doesn't overwhelm the other flavors.

I see less milk in my future.

Best,

Matt

brianl

#28: Post by brianl »

I did a relatively minor break in of about 1.5 lbs and after an additional two days of normal daily grinding, i'm down to about 28 turns for 17g.

wrz0170 (original poster)

#29: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) »

mgrayson wrote:HG-One arrived yesterday. Ditto all praises for first impressions. I had a lot of static cling in the funnel without the wiper, RDT or no, but it's getting dry here in the fall. Better after installing wiper. It's 50 turns for 17.5 g of beans, so I'll forego break-in and just use it. The word that comes to my mind when I sip the result is "clean". It makes bright coffees more palatable as the brightness is just one characteristic that doesn't overwhelm the other flavors.

I see less milk in my future.

Best,

Matt
Congrats on your HG!! If static continues to be a problem, try:

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Martini- ... ini+mister

It works really well. I do two sprays, shake a bit, then two more. Puts a very even, fine mist on the beans. Now that it's getting colder, we will be firing up the furnace with the whole house humidifier. I will be interested in how that will work.

I just finished up a pound of beans after running 1 box of rice through. Going to work on second box. Getting about 40 for 18g.

Martin

#30: Post by Martin »

Had mine over a week.
Website recommends a brush of top and bottom burrs after each session.
I'm surprised at how many grinds get removed.
Setting the tumbler on top of an inverted Illy saucer keeps things a bit more tidy by moving up tumbler closer, but overall there is a fair amount of mess involved compared to the Vario. Not a lot of effort or time, but surprising.
Workflow, is generally fast though, even with the grounds issue---27 rotations, no strain to turn.

I've ground a medium/light roasts; a darker espresso roasted from Paradise; and decaf. Barely made any adjustments :D Did a lot of initial rice grinding that brought down the rotations nicely, taught me to be sure to set the locking ring securely, and convinced me that the provided glass stirring rod really was the best way to distribute.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.