My own HG One came today - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IntrepidQ3

#11: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I read a drop to three of water will sufice. How damp will the beans get under the steam wand?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

wrz0170 (original poster)

#12: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) »

IntrepidQ3 wrote:I received mine last night! Same tin burrs.

My impressions as I opened the box and assembled were spot on with yours: heavy, quality build, very excited about NO PLASTIC! (Previous grinder is a Vario, duty is now fp/pourovers).

The braille print out is smart.

I have not pulled any shots but I attempted to dial in by feel and look of the grind, due to it was 9:30pm and I had to wake up at 4:30am. So far I have ground roughly 60 grams. 20 grams took 45-50 turns.

Static is a big issue already, the static wipe does help with this. I will try to add a few drops of water this weekend prior to grinding.

Extremely excited for the new espresso adventure!
Congrats!! The few drops of water will definitely help. I had major static in the blind tumbler and my first shot was a complete disaster. Spritzed all over the place, including on my white t-shirt. Few shots into it now, the water definitely helps. I plan on getting an atomizer at Bed Bath Beyond.

Out of curiosity, where did you have to set yours to get a start point? I had to start at around 288, far off the suggested 450!

Oh, and for anyone who finds that there is this God awful squeal that pierces your ear drums and can wake the dead; it's coming from the handle. I took the bolt out, put some of that food grade lube on the bolt and reinstalled the handle. No more squeak.

Advertisement

#13: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) »

caffeinezombie wrote:Still waiting for mine, UPS has missed the scheduled shipping date twice already. :(
It will be worth the wait! I had one missed shipment due to a trailer delay.

IntrepidQ3

#14: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

wrz0170 wrote:Congrats!! The few drops of water will definitely help. I had major static in the blind tumbler and my first shot was a complete disaster. Spritzed all over the place, including on my white t-shirt. Few shots into it now, the water definitely helps. I plan on getting an atomizer at Bed Bath Beyond.

Out of curiosity, where did you have to set yours to get a start point? I had to start at around 288, far off the suggested 450!

Oh, and for anyone who finds that there is this God awful squeal that pierces your ear drums and can wake the dead; it's coming from the handle. I took the bolt out, put some of that food grade lube on the bolt and reinstalled the handle. No more squeak.
Only had time to pull one shot so far, spritz for a sec really bad. Almost like when I first started this hobby. 3 sec later it turned to a nice cone. Still running a faster than I like.

I started with the suggested 450, backed off to around 360, and than had to tighten back up with just a few notches. I did this just by feeling the grinds last night. This is the setting for my first shot, next one I will tighten the grind a bit and see how that looks.

I lathered that handle with the lube before installing.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

brianl

#15: Post by brianl »

As for the dialing in...I started at one turn (360) because I heard the TIN weren't required finer. I ended up going to probably around 200 degrees (little over a half turn). I have been using barely City+ beans lately so I expected it to be like this.

wintoid

#16: Post by wintoid »

I've had my HG One with TIN burrs since Monday, and with 3 drops of water and using TomC's paper cup method
here Owner experience with HG one grinder plus a little stir in the paper cup, I have a completely repeatable procedure for the first time ever!

I've also got my rotations down from 45 with fresh burrs to 25 now. That took 4 boxes of minute rice and 1.5 kg of stale coffee.

Now I'm down to the business of enjoying the coffee!
Simon
LMWDP #486

#17: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) replying to wintoid »

Nice!!! Still working on my first box of rice. I think I will get Popeye arm after all said and done!!! But I think the payoff will be worth it. Did about 6 shots to try to get close to a good flow. Then switched to rice. Doing 25g at a time. I will do another 50g and then go back to the bean.

Advertisement
caffeinezombie

#18: Post by caffeinezombie »

I went through my first box and I think my arm popped off... the sounds are pretty scary too..

#19: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) replying to caffeinezombie »

I'm a little over 250g through my first box. When I went back to beans, it was most welcome. My arm is tired. But now to finish up that first box. I am at a little less than 50 turns for 18g.

For the static, I bought this little gizmo here: http://amzn.com/B004L0SMPA

My next challenge is distribution. Still getting spritzers and some channeling.

pumpkinscastle

#20: Post by pumpkinscastle »

My HG one with the Mazzer burr set showed up today. I omit repeating the description of its excellent packaging and its fine build quality. It truly is beautiful. Many people have already said so.

I ground 2 pounds of really stale coffee at a very fine espresso setting. Wow, my arms are both tired. Fluffly and no clumps! It looked fantastic. But boy did that take some energy! I can tell that it is already easier now to turn the flywheel.

I then proceeded to feed some fresher coffee to clear the burrs. Then, I loaded my Cuvee Guatemalan into the chamber. I erred on the side of too fine a grind and choked the espresso machine. But then, I did a better job and produced two beautiful and rich shots. Still a bit tight but utterly drinkable. They made fantastic cappuccinos and I can already see that this opens up a new chapter in exploring flavors for me. As compared to my SJ, there is more immediate clarity and the shots are "brighter" (but not more acidic) and more intense. Hard to describe without more experience. Visually, the shots with the naked PF don't look different from my SJ shots, at least nothing I could tell as of yet.

I noticed that the grinds do get warm, especially after grinding a lot. I also noticed that the entire burr carrier was warm. I suppose that is proof that I burned some calories right there. Again, unless you grind more than half a pound at a time, not an issue.

Yes, it is possible to pull fantastic shots without much priming. Also, I noticed very little static, and I wasn't even using RDT at all. We have approx. 50% humidity in our house. For me, so far at least, static is not an issue at all.

Redistribution: I have been doing this. The one time I didn't the shot was uneven. Perhaps that was due to other issues. Until I get a better idea of the HG one, I will keep doing WDT.

My perspective after day one: This machine has a lot of potential. It might be "the" ideal home grinder. Going doserless with minimal retention is fantastic (compared to my regular SJ).