My new Mahlkonig K30 Vario just arrived!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EABonney

#1: Post by EABonney »

She got here yesterday and I have her placed and ready to go. I got the short hopper so it would fit under my cabinets and it is still a really tight fit. My first impression of this thing was "HOLY COW IT IS HUGE!!!" :D

The pictures on Chris's website do not make it appear as big as it is and even though they clearly state the dimensions on the website, I am super challenged when it comes to space and size. So it is MUCH larger than I expected it to be.

I have not yet had a single chance to plug her in or get coffee going in her yet but I hope to start dialing in tonight or tomorrow night. Anyone have any tips on this process to help me out and keep the bean waste to a "minimum" :)

I think I have my home coffee bar now "complete". I have a VST basket coming tomorrow and all I might want next will be a bottomless portafilter for my Andreja, maybe.

Thanks,
-Eric

Mark08859

#2: Post by Mark08859 »

Good luck!

therabidweasel

#3: Post by therabidweasel »

My only advice is to have fun. As a starting point set the dial to 3.5 and start pulling. I love mine as it suits my lazy style perfectly. . .I mean LOVE.

oh yeah, the timer will give you typically <+/-0.2g repeatability in dose on most SOs but add a gram to that for blends. . .at least that's how mine performs.

I have a Tanzania coming tomorrow. We're you part of the group buy?

frank828

#4: Post by frank828 »

hmm...

2.5 purges should be sufficient for a grind adjustment(~18g doses)

sonnyhad

#5: Post by sonnyhad »

You'll for sure want the bottomless PF. And some minute rice for break in!
Let us know how you like it!!
LMWDP 437

EABonney (original poster)

#6: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

sonnyhad wrote:You'll for sure want the bottomless PF. And some minute rice for break in!
Let us know how you like it!!
What's this I keep reading about Minute Rice?? I have read this statement now a couple of times. So just run the rice through just like you would typical beans to help dial it in?
therabidweasel wrote:I have a Tanzania coming tomorrow. We're you part of the group buy?
Nope I saw that thread the day after it closed sadly. :oops: So I purchased mine at Chris Coffee where I have purchased all my other equipment. Can't say anything more than what has been stated a million times all over the web about just how fantastic they are with customer service! I was chatting with Mackenzie online just before placing my order and asking a question about the short hopper. When I placed it, literally minutes after talking with her, I messed up and ordered the large hopper. She emailed me immediately and asked if that was what I had intended since we had just talked and when I said no, she fixed it right away and then shipped out my grinder to me! Talk about service!!

Thanks for all the advice, can't wait to fire her up later this week. :)

therabidweasel

#7: Post by therabidweasel »

People break in the burrs using minute rice because it is softer than regular rice and cheaper than coffee. Commercial burrs really need a couple hundred pounds of coffee (at least) before they really start to perform at their best.

My advice is to just run a couple of doses through to clean her out and go to work. It'll still pull ridiculous shots and increased fines that are generated early on might be beneficial for a flat burr IMO. Also, I will be curious to know if you get the shock of massively increased extraction going from a B vario to a MK. Coming from a rocky it was very shocking.

Also, you have a German made commercial grinder. You can chip wood in the thing, regular rice should be fine if you want to go that road. Just look at how the burrs are mounted, it won't be a problem.

I got mine at Chris' as well.

therabidweasel

#8: Post by therabidweasel »

Hey one last thing here at midnight, if you do decide to break your burrs in with whatever...be sure to head the motor rest periods. Big motor in a :oops: plastic case is a design flaw IMO :oops: , but that is why they have the "air" version with a fan now.

Single group head use I just pull until I'm out of cups, but if you start pressing back to back just to break in, be careful.

:oops: The incorrect information on the plastic case is brought to by TRW, who doesn't even know the thing he loves most. It is painted steel. . .SO I CAN WAX IT!

malling

#9: Post by malling »

therabidweasel wrote:Hey one last thing here at midnight, if you do decide to break your burrs in with whatever...be sure to head the motor rest periods. Big motor in a plastic case is a design flaw IMO, but that is why they have the "air" version with a fan now.

Single group head use I just pull until I'm out of cups, but if you start pressing back to back just to break in, be careful.

It is only the outer case that is made Of plastic the frame underneath it, is made Of aluminium, just like any other commercial grinder. And that is What really matters when it comes to heat. If it was made entirely Of plastic yes it would have been a design flow.

And All flat burr grinder used In a commercial setting should either have a fan or a very low RPM motor or heat will potential be an issue. After All most flat burr grinders spin with more Then 1400RPM and this result in a lot of friction and thus the grinder will warm up very quickly if you don't follow the instruction that came with the grinder.

But it's a Great grinder that is very easy to dial in, the biggest downside however is the hazard you have to go through when you need to change the burrs. And the older ones could make quite a mess inside the case.

therabidweasel

#10: Post by therabidweasel »

Maybe I should say "unfortunate design choice. " Heat rises and aluminum on the bottom doesnt do enough to get the heat out. If it did, they wouldnt be limited the way they are. I understand design trades and know why they went with the plastic. . And that helps put it at an attractive price point. Heck, it made me buy one.

Just because we own these doesn't make them perfect. There are always trades made in designs.