My new HG one just arrived! - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by FotonDrv »

It makes you wonder what Mazzer was thinking when they came out with the Kony and it's 63mm conical. Slow grinding speed and at 44 pounds it is not a small home grinder!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

OldNuc

#52: Post by OldNuc »

The burr diameter will follow the trend established in the mid to late 50s with automotive tail fins. The max burr diameter will be limited by what a 120vAC 2Hp 3600 RPM motor operating through a 6:1 planetary reduction set to the burr can operate when espresso fine grinding lightly roasted high grown beans without stalling the motor or blowing the fuse. These super burrs will be made from carbide steel with TiN coating.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by FotonDrv »

That makes sense, thanks!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

rpavlis (original poster)

#54: Post by rpavlis (original poster) »

With my "after market" TiN 83mm burrs:

I just ran a second 800 gram batch of instant rice through the Hg one, so now I have run about 1.5 kg through it. When I first got my Hg one it seemed to grind a bit less than 500 mg/turn. After the first batch of instant rice it was up to about 600 mg/turn. Now it is close to 700 mg/turn. (14 grams grinds in 20 turns.) I suspect that this is close to the maximum.

I also learned that the best way to run rice through the machine is to sit it on the floor on a rug. One can deliver more muscle power to it that way. It is also a good idea not to try to grind more than 200 grams at a time without allowing one's arms to rest!

I am puzzled by the fact that my TiN coated burrs seem to grind much faster than most, and also espresso setting is only about 270 degrees from closed. Is there more than one "after market" providing these burrs? The burrs I have seem ideal.

One definite advantage of large burrs is grinding coffees with huge beans like Pacamara and Maragogype.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#55: Post by orphanespresso »

Keep in mind that the overarching concept is grinding efficiency. The TIN coating process decreases the efficiency of the burr (consider all of the process...micro abrasion, heating, deposition and the different tolerances involved n all of the steps) as illustrated by speed/throughput observations. Grinding rice increases efficiency, given the identical bean parameters, which is hard to hit since the bean is constantly changing. There remains the real possibility that rice grinding actually promotes micro alignment of the mechanism, which has an effect on efficiency.
Your grind setting, IMO, is because there is no absolute zero on this type of burr installation, mostly due to machining tolerances but overall zero is a relative point and just when you think you have found an absolute zero point you can likely find another and then another, so your setting is more relative to your last setting and not so much to zero...although the IDEA of a true zero is comforting to many.
Keep after it Professor...just avoid as many artifacts as you can...if anybody can figure it out, you can :D .

beer&mathematics

#56: Post by beer&mathematics »

Ahh, absolute zero! Although I have not seen a HG1 in person, I imagine it is very similar to the Pharos in the way it works. Having used the Pharos for 1.5 years, I've reached my zen with it. Taking it apart and putting it back together many times you realize how relative it really is. Mine has always been in the 15 turns/19g range whereas most others report ~25-35 turns for the same dose (this is from memory, don't quote me). After my last super-duper alignment (heh heh), it has become less efficient at 21-25 turns for the same dose. Point being, it's all relative =)
LMWDP #431

KingSmono

#57: Post by KingSmono »

I finally ran a box of rice through my HG One, and have observed my 18g rotations drop from 45-50 to 37-40. I had no problems with the 45-50 rotations per 18g of beans, and was not planning on "breaking-in" with rice at all... but I was itching to use the HG One the other night, and it was way too late for espresso. So I figured I'd do a batch of two of rice, and ended up doing an entire box.

I have dialed in my grinder, and am pulling the best shots I've ever pulled on my CC1. Loving my HG One.

canuckcoffeeguy

#58: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Would everyone here now consider the TiN 83mm burrs essential? Or, just nice to have? Sounds like they make things easier.

I'm strongly considering an HG ONE.

erik82

#59: Post by erik82 »

I do 18gr in under 20 rotations. Mine is a first batch HG One with 83mm non bead-blasted Mazzer burrs. It just takes some strength to get it started but after that it's easy.

canuckcoffeeguy

#60: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to erik82 »

So that means you have the stepless version. I may have the opportunity to get an original, stepless HG ONE. Do you yearn for the new stepped model, or are you fine with the older stepless?