Motorizing the HG-one - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by FotonDrv »

I shouild have spotted that! :shock: It makes sense to motorize that model because of that function. I did not want to sell my old model just to try this motor idea but you have the perfect combination with the later model HG-One.

I can get my fingers behind the tower OK but a lever would make it very easy and it might be something I do in the future.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#92: Post by FotonDrv »

Bikeminded wrote:Here's a couple photos, one with the hood off and other other on. It works very well. The Kitchenaid motor has a ton of torque. I do have some cleanup items that I want to do to it soon.

<image>

A couple test videos...sorry for the shaking, aspect ratio, etc.
http://youtu.be/0IcyY7LaHLI
http://youtu.be/OA3TcYFIAPw
I was pretty curious about the enclosure on the motor that you fabricated so I decided to try wrapping a towel around the motor of mine to see what a difference it made. WOW! It dropped the DB rating at 1ft distance from 70db to 60db. It will be a worthwhile mod. Even a motor cozy would work since heat is not an issue with the commercial motor I am using.

Your beautiful shroud has me thinking :D

Bikeminded

#93: Post by Bikeminded »

That's interesting what a difference that made. I hadn't thought of it as a sound deadening enclosure, but sure would work for it. Thinking along those lines...I have some of the heavy sound deadening self-adhesive mat used for stereo installations. I may cut some of that down and adhere to the inside of the enclosure. May have to DL one of those iPhone sound apps and see what the noise level is.

When I first started this motor project, I started down the road of using a right angle drill motor. Bought the thing. As soon as I turned it on in the shop, I realized the screaming sound coming out of it would not pass the wife test (or me for that matter). I think it had straight cut spur gear reduction which were insanely loud. Returned it moved on in my motor search.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#94: Post by FotonDrv »

I too used the iPhone app for the test. I found it to be so close to the Radio Shack db meter that I have not used the RS db meter ever since.

I can just see my wife's face if I pulled my Millwaukee Hole Hawg out to power the grinder. I for sure would be sleeping in the garage :shock:

gbduarte

#95: Post by gbduarte »

Sorry about the question but... why motorize this grinder? How much it costs plus the motor plus the creation value, goes far beyond the average price of an excellent grinder on the market.

Randy G.

#96: Post by Randy G. replying to gbduarte »

Think about a person who has this grinder and tears a rotator cuff or has a SO who has a disability or injury that makes manual operation difficult or painful. Or... maybe because it is a cool looking, well designed grinder that fills a functional and also aesthetic niche.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

craigcharity

#97: Post by craigcharity »

gbduarte wrote:
Sorry about the question but... why motorize this grinder? How much it costs plus the motor plus the creation value, goes far beyond the average price of an excellent grinder on the market.
I have just motorised mine. I added a 3 phase .38kw motor with a 1-7 gear box. I think motorised or not, the biggest advantage of this grinder is the close to zero retention. Apart from a EK43(I have one but I dont like the mouthfeel from it)I dont know of a commercial grinder with the quality of grind and retention of the HG-One.

canuckcoffeeguy

#98: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

If you single dose and want Titan quality, with near zero retention, motorizing makes sense. And it's also a cool thing to do.

Bikeminded

#99: Post by Bikeminded »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:And it's also a cool thing to do.
Yeah...that pretty much sums up why I did it. :D

gbduarte

#100: Post by gbduarte »

A cool thing to do sounds like a valid answer =)
Would you use a motorized one commercially?