Motorizing the HG-one - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bikeminded

#81: Post by Bikeminded »

FotonDrv wrote:Did you find any difference in the grounds between powered and hank cranked????
I've got probably 15-20 doubles through it so far. I'm not noticing a difference. Been mostly running at what I would consider a hand cranking speed. That being said, I don't have near the calibrated palate like many on this board.

I've been using all my extra time now to drink more espresso! That why the videos shake so much. :wink:

Bikeminded

#82: Post by Bikeminded »

Put a tach on the speed output at all the control knob settings....

1 - 40 RPM
2 - 50 RPM
3 - 92 RPM
4 - 110 RPM
5 - 130 RPM
6 - 164 RPM
7 - 200 RPM (Prepare ship for ludicrous speed!)

Been running at the 3rd click down. That just 'feels' right and is around a 20 sec grind give or take.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by FotonDrv »

Bikeminded, thanks for the chart, it lets me know the results and why, sort of.

Initially I tried the 83mm burr set just to see if it could do it, and then I quickly switched to the burrs that I normally used and are very broken-in, the 71m burrs. I noticed that the 83's were subject to more fines than the 71mm's so then I switched back to the 83's and have been running them ever since and now it appears that they are breaking-in and producing less fines. All very interesting and I am loving the motor more everyday.

Thank you for the tach readings, I might just have to get one for testing things :)

I wonder how many folks out there are eying their kitchen mixers and trying to convince their wives that they nolonger need them...

Best Wishes,
Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Tony_Lotts

#84: Post by Tony_Lotts »

I have an old kitchenaid proline grinder, that I couldn't pay anyone to take. If anyone's interested in the motor, it's free for the cause.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by FotonDrv »

Tom, I have had a KitchenAide stand mixer(tilt up motor) for 40 years and when it was brand new I remember that it would weep oil if left in the "UP" position for very long. It acted like an open bath oil filled gear box, did the one you used have this feature??

Bikeminded

#86: Post by Bikeminded »

LOL...I hope not. They did a redesign on the drive system on the new KA motors recently. It used to be that the motors and gears were 'open' inside of the mixer housing. I have a 15 yr old one like that and kind of a mess when you take the hood off.

With the redesign, they bumped power on the big ones and made this motor/transmission a module that bolts inside the housing. (I couldn't have made the old design work.)

That being said, it isn't specifically designed to operate in this orientation so time will tell if I have any issues. It looks like a nicely sealed unit. Another thing I had to do was reverse the polarity of the motor to make it spin the proper direction for the grinder. Everything seems to be working well.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by FotonDrv »

I thought something had to be different! That is also a headsup to anyone looking for a motor on Craig's List and could be very disappointed when getting that gear oil mess.

Bikeminded

#88: Post by Bikeminded »

I think the old KA may been AC motors. Some had some funky governor thing on the end of the motor shaft for speed control. This new stuff is 120V DC.
If anyone wants to give this version a shot, these are the parts from http://www.universalapplianceparts.com.
W10487697 Control Board - $39.39
W10517938 Motor/Gearbox - $50.69
W10308001 Cord-Power - $3.86
The cord comes with a nice connector on the end of it that just plugs into the board.

Part of the wrapup/tweaking I was wanting to do with switch out the LoveJoy coupling for this nice little unit and did that this weekend.
McMaster Carr #5384T709 Ultra-Flexible High-Misalignment Shaft Coupling, $25.57.
This is setup with a 15mm hub on one end (HG One end) and a 14mm hub on the other end (KA motor end). Rated for 245 inlbs. Works just perfect and more forgiving with misalignment than a LoveJoy. (My machining skills are not the best by any means and didn't have motor dead nuts aligned.)

I think I'm pretty much done with it now.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by FotonDrv »

Very nicely done! Thank you for that Link to that coupling and the motor parts; always helpful.

How are you adjusting/tightening the grind adjustment locking knob?

Bikeminded

#90: Post by Bikeminded replying to FotonDrv »

Thank you! It's a 2014 HG, so uses the laser etched 'ring' around the burrset for locking in place instead of the knob on the backside.