Monolith

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nik

#1: Post by Nik »

I have been through a lot of grinders in the past 5 years; Mahlkonig K30, Macap M7D, Baratza Vario, Versalab, Robur E and Compak K10 Fresh. I don't care for doser grinders and have used all of my grinders as single dosers. In most cases successful but still required manipulation to do something that they were not intended doing. The Versalab was the most convenient single dosing grinder with a few quirks but with consistent and predictable shots. What it seemed to do is make all coffee taste good at the expense of detail/clarity.

While Denis Basaric does not intend to market his creation I have been fortunate to have received one and have been using it for over two months now. It's a shame that he is not going to put them to market because the quality is excellent and the simplicity is brilliant and the function is excellent. My Robur E and Versalab are gone and I still have my K10 Fresh....but don't use it very much at all. This is the first grinder I have ever owned that functions flawlessly as a single doser. The titanium K10 burrs produce detail in the coffee like none I have ever used. It's very quiet, fast and with as close to zero retention as you can get. All the pulls are single tails right out of the basket. It's direct drive and you cannot see the shaft move. It's a real pleasure and joy to use.

There are total of 9 machined parts that he had fabricated at CNC metal shop in Seattle.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

Contender for Teaser of the Year. Got any other wonderful products that the rest of us can't have? :P
John

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

It's nice to see the Versalab concept done right for the second time now, first the HG-One, now this one.
Jim Schulman

tamarian

#4: Post by tamarian »

What a name for a grinder! Would love to see a video, if possible.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Very interesting. Is there a portafilter stand or something that catches the grinds? Or is there forks that I cant see in the picture?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

If he doesn't intend on selling these, would he be willing to put up some plans/parts, etc?
Making something like this is definitely on my life goal list.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Nik (original poster)

#7: Post by Nik (original poster) »

tamarian wrote:What a name for a grinder! Would love to see a video, if possible.
This was early in the test stages and a couple of months before I got mine.

Nik (original poster)

#8: Post by Nik (original poster) »

Shaun,

I think the market needs a single dose grinder of this quality. Making this grinder was a challenge but making them to sell I don't think is something he's interested in. His business requires too much of his time to be building grinders. I suspect there is not enough profit potential to warrant making them. I suggest that you drop Denis a note and ask him.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

shawndo wrote:If he doesn't intend on selling these, would he be willing to put up some plans/parts, etc?
Making something like this is definitely on my life goal list.

Nik (original poster)

#9: Post by Nik (original poster) »

No forks and no stand. Watch the video link that I sent recently and you will see the simplicity of it. You question is a good one and I thought the same thing until I actually used it. I have commented to Denis many times how much faster it is to use than any grinder I have owned. One of the features that I really liked about the Versalab was the fork/clamp. However I would not like having to go back to it after getting use to this one.

TomC wrote:Very interesting. Is there a portafilter stand or something that catches the grinds? Or is there forks that I cant see in the picture?

Nik (original poster)

#10: Post by Nik (original poster) »

Thank you Jim. One of the major irritants with my Versalab was the retention on the inside of the bowl. It had to be removed and cleaned every other day. Other than that and the masking of flavors I had no problems with it. There is almost zero retention with the Monolith.
another_jim wrote:It's nice to see the Versalab concept done right for the second time now, first the HG-One, now this one.