Monolith - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DanoM

#51: Post by DanoM »

Too bad we don't have more info on the Monolith. Looks like a grinder with alot of potential for the single dose grinder. Simple design and relatively quiet too.

Still trying to decide what I'm going to do with these 68mm burrs I have sitting next to me.... :wink:
LMWDP #445

SpaceTime

#52: Post by SpaceTime »

I agree, something like this has potential for the single dose crowd. There currently does not exist a **motorized** Titan grinder for single dosing where the design target was a home user - this looks like it could be close! We have a couple of manual grinders to meet the need, but cranks aren't for everyone.

Kinda looks like an HG One with a motor! :shock: :lol:
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by uscfroadie »

SpaceTime wrote:There currently does not exist a **motorized** Titan grinder for single dosing where the design target was a home user - this looks like it could be close!
The HG One E could check this box if the motor were relocated to the backside like a Versalab so that its height would be severely reduced to one more "under-cupboard friendly". It then could be used in the home and could also serve the commercial side. Doing both makes it far more profitable for the developer and is probably the only chance of it making it into production.

HG One E
Merle

SpaceTime

#54: Post by SpaceTime »

uscfroadie wrote:The HG One E could check this box if the motor were relocated to the backside like a Versalab so that it's height would be severely reduced to one more "under-cupboard friendly". It then could be used in the home and could also serve the commercial side. Doing both makes it far more profitable for the developer and is probably the only chance of it making it into production.

HG One E
Great point Merle - if you can appeal to both, that is even a better formula... Footprint and retention are the current gaps that need filling for the home side for titans with a motor... (And of corse cost :D )
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

zix

#55: Post by zix »

And the Monolith does both right, it seems. Thanks for sharing about it, Nik! It is an interesting grinder.
The HG One E is still a large grinder in comparison. I don't see why the motor couldn't be placed as uscfroadie describes it, together with a good belt drive. This would probably make it low enough to go under most cupboards, but to be suitable as
About HG One E, HG One wrote:a single dosing grinder with low retention for use in high volume retail environment
height is not so important. I for one would also need an easy, fast, dose feeder, though. It is even something I consider adding to our HG One, even though I don't feel the need to add a motor, other than the one I supply currently.
LMWDP #047

SpaceTime

#56: Post by SpaceTime »

Ok you sold me on the Monolith - where do I place my order I am ready to buy!! :D 8)

zix

#57: Post by zix »

Oh, you think that would work, Spacetime?
* ooops did I type that out loud *
- Ehhhrrrm, yes, write me up for one too.
* I could always sell the car, what's it good for anyways... *
LMWDP #047

SpaceTime

#58: Post by SpaceTime replying to zix »

Well, I was hoping... I know the scoop, read the thread - just trying to be a smart a$$... LOL. Maybe my lame attempt at being a paying customer is what pushes it over the edge, and "oh what the heck, lets make, market and distribute" Yeah, right...

This type of grinder could fill a well-chronicled niche in the current offerings with a motor... you get it.

My take is I am going to stop reading the thread - why show me something I can't have... :lol:

Almico

#59: Post by Almico »

I don't know what we're coming too? Do you really need a motor on a single does grinder? 20 turns of a handle is too much work? Really?

I'm confused by the video on the first page supposedly showing the "low ground retention". He's weighing the beans first, then weighing the output like that means the burrs did not retain anything? All it means is that the fresh beans pushed out what was sitting in there from the last session.

DanoM

#60: Post by DanoM replying to Almico »

Not everyone wants to crank a handle. It's that simple. Not about the work or the time, they just want a simple point and grind.

Since that was a test for the grind retention I assume that the burrs are clean to start off with. Likely that the bottom of the burrs is flush with the underside of the carrier. Hard to make a judgement with so very little knowledge or video of the grinder.
LMWDP #445