Modifying KitchenAid Proline to hold Mazzer Mini burrs - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RegulatorJohnson (original poster)

#21: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

well its not that good because i need to shim out the burr that mounts on the body.

there is enough difference in thickness to make the auger bottom out and you can't get the burrs any closer than about 1/8" apart.

the choices are:

modify the auger.

shim the burr. i need to cover that extra hole anyway. so i am stuck for now until can get something. maybe a large washer or something.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Skippy

#22: Post by Skippy »

Surprised they are that much thinner, they look roughly the same in your photos.

#23: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

i think she's going to work captain!

i got the burrs shimmed out.

i can tell just from looking that the grinds are a lot more consistent. a definite improvement over the stock burrs.
not as good as a real mazzer mini but no question its better than it was. its really slow.

to get a shot the grind seems much more coarse then from the real mazzer mini.

i can choke the vetrano at 9 BAR. in the cup is not terrible.

not sure what y'all should do, or what will become of this.

i think it has potential for sure.

i dont think i would buy a KA Proline just to do this, but if i had one already, it would be worth the time and effort.

jon

Skippy

#24: Post by Skippy »

Sounds good, have you noticed if theres a lot of coffee grounds getting stuck inside?

#25: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

that part is about the same.

jon

#26: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

ok here are the pics of the grind..one is the mazzer mini the other is the kitchen aid proline with the mazzer burrs.

these are both at the current setting i am using with my current coffee to make espresso.

i did not do the kitchenaid proline with the normal burrs because i am lazy and dont want to switch out the burrs, plus you guys have a kitchen aid proline with normal burrs to compare to.

i dont know what this means, or what you can tell from the pics but here are they are.

anyone wanna come over and mess around with it you are welcome to, PM first please.

thanks for the time.

jon

Skippy

#27: Post by Skippy »

Certainly couldn't ever say the proline suffered from clumping. Amazing how smooth the grind is.

Skippy

#28: Post by Skippy »

Found some mazzer burrs for £30 so think ill give it a go once you put up how you did it in more detail.

Skippy

#29: Post by Skippy »

Heard about someone helping the clumping on a doserless macap m4 by polishing the aluminium spout, think i might have a go at polishing the interior of the grinder.

Was also thinking about reducing the size of the hole letting the beans into the auger, maybe less beans in the burrs at once would improve things?

Probably do all this then have my grinder break down lol.

#30: Post by RegulatorJohnson (original poster) »

Skippy wrote:Found some mazzer burrs for £30 so think ill give it a go once you put up how you did it in more detail.
ok here are some more details.

click me

jon