Mazzer throat modification for single dosing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sprint jinx

#1: Post by sprint jinx »

I made a nice improvement to my Mazzer Super Jolly. I had removed the large hopper because I prefer to single dose every weighed shot of beans. I had some issues with leftover bean chips and residue in the throat of the grinder, so I set about curing that.
After careful measurement and a few prototypes on my 3d printer, I had completed the design.
I use a shot glass as a plug for the top of the funnel, it fits nice, and the weight forces the beans down, until it rests on the diameter of the lower funnel. A 58mm tamper also fits nicely on the tiny ledge, no beans seem to catch on there as its too narrow.

What this object does as an improvement is that it gives the beans a vertical path to the burrs, negating the internal steps in the throat. It has three indentations that match the three bosses inside the grinder throat, so it lines up and covers them perfectly. The slight taper of the throat matches too, and the fitment is snug, so it never moves up, down or rotationally. I printed it on my Zcorp printer in starch powder, and cured it with liquid wax. Its robust enough, I have tested it for about a year now without issue. Upon removal, there is a small amount of coffee dust on the bottom skirt, but that is after hundreds of individual 17 gram grinding jobs. Usually, it stays cleaner than the attached image.

The cost to produce this is minor, if you have a 3d printer. I am not in the business of making widgets for others. I could post it on etsy, thing universe or otherwise, I suppose. I doubt that there are alot of people to whom this applies.

Here's a few more images, mine turned out pink.
As dirty as it gets:

Tamper as cover:

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Pretty cool! Better get the patent now.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

angman

#3: Post by angman »

Thats pretty nice and a great idea. Too bad majority of people won't be able to do the same. It's like rubbing salt on to a wound :o

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Porter,

If you post links to your 3D files here people can take them to a local 3D printer and have the part made. Alternatively there could be a group buy with someone using your files and knocking these out on a printer. This looks like the perfect mod and I wouldn't sourcing that part myself.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Also if someone wants to make an insert like this it can be done without 3D printing using the shape shifting material described in this thread:

DIY - Dosing Basket Funnel
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

Great job. Can a 58mm tamper cover it as well? I'd pay 5$ to avoid having to use autocad. FYI sculpteo and others can print and ship your 3D files, even in solid gold! I just had a new dosing funnel made in ceramic (for attaching to my grinder).
LMWDP #353

sprint jinx (original poster)

#7: Post by sprint jinx (original poster) »

I put the file on Shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/2078302 ... ?li=aeTabs

I used Solidworks to do this, not autocad. And, I suppose that some of the heft of it could be carved out. It is thick where it needs to be. My suggestion is to not have this item produced in metal, but plastic, as the fitment to the throat is going to be a tolerance fit. It might need some slight sanding off for a proper snug alignment.

I also designed a matching plug for the funnel, it rests on the step and inserts well into the throat. Here's a cross section:

The plug is not on the shapeways file. If you want me to email you either file directly, I can do that. Just send me a private message.

Patents are good, but I have many already. They require significant investment of both money and time.

bostonbuzz

#8: Post by bostonbuzz »

Thanks!!!! Looks like it will be $87 to print in plastic from sculpteo - egads! I would do it if i actually used the SJ anymore.
LMWDP #353