Mazzer Super Jolly mods, reducing the number of doser clacks...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

i am not sure of any previous threads...yet today I have been tinkering a bit with my SJ; removed the automatic start function in order to be able to use my darkroom timer in single button mode, removed the flap switch, installed a schectermatic schozzola made out of transparent thick plastic to get rid of using the aeropress funnel, installed the swiper vanes and made up a smaller hopper replacement.

Tinkering with all of this I noticed, again, that the grounds are spewed into the hopper quite forcefully, as I am lazy I thought that if it would be possible to direct the grounds directly into the underlying 'chambers' of the dosing mechanism I might have to do a lot less clacking of the doser in order to get the Exactly timed amount of ground coffee into the PF.
I cut a piece of clear plastic film and glued it inside of the doser lid, like shown in below picture, so far it seems to work well and it does not hinder cleaning the grounds exit.
My aim is to minimize the amount of clacks needed, or else the doser goes and I'll be installing a funnel, and this mod looks promising yet I'd like to know is anyone already tried something like this before?

Below a picture of the current setup...

LMWDP #483

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

I did something of the sort on the Majors I owned. I used a variety of materials, paper, tin foil.. Made a flap that hung down into the doser from the doser lid. This way, just like the stock, factory installed finger guard, the coffee is directed down into the pies of the doser. The metal finger guard is nice, but it does block access to the chute, which most people want access to, especially if they're single dosing.

Ive even see people on youtube use something as simple as a post-it note attached to the doser lid and folded down into the doser. The Major really flings the coffee across the doser, so if you're single dosing and trying to waste no coffee at all, its helpful. If you're not single dosing, Id probably skip it and just use a brush on the last shot of a session to clear out whatever is on the doser walls/vanes.

pentepoxes

#3: Post by pentepoxes »

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting here, but I have a very basic question regarding SJ's and since you have one maybe you can help? :)

I am curious on how much coffee the machine can hold in terms of grams, without the hopper adjusted since I am thinking of buying a used one that doesnt have a hopper included.

Cheers :P

Marcelnl (original poster)

#4: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Without the hopper the throat of the machine only holds approximately some 20-30 grams of beans (did not weigh them but guesstimated the amount).

However, the usual hopper is WAY too large so I would not consider it a loss if it does not come with the machine. A makeshift 'hopper' is easily made like in this example (currently I have some rolled up thick plastic film holding approx 125g of beans in use).
LMWDP #483

#5: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Playing around a bit learns me that I'm down from going the full circle to approx 4-5 clacks, also think that cleaning the throat makes a difference in the cup.
LMWDP #483

#6: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Tye difference in the cup a a definite one, there is more crema and a slightly fuller bodied taste. I would never have believed that the amount of ground coffee in the throat of the SJ would have this much of an impact on taste..
Btw: it's down from 12 to 6 or 7 clacks rather than 4..
LMWDP #483