Mazzer Super Jolly E grinding by itself - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#21: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:That's awesome! I'd love to hear what you think of the K30 compared to the SJ in speed and grind quality on your other topic.
Give me a couple of days and I'll post back on that thread with my thoughts for sure! Thanks for all the kind words and advice.
LMWDP #544

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by jwCrema »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Just an update....

Prima has been SUPERB through this whole thing.

So anyone looking to use prima and not so sure whether their customer service is up to snuff... I am here to say that they handled this situation as best as possible. They even offered to loan me a mini instead of buying a new grinder.... But hey this was just a reason to upgrade to the grinder I wanted all along :D
Yea! Thanks for letting us know!

Advertisement
sweaner

#23: Post by sweaner »

LukeFlynn wrote:the Super Jolly isn't really up to the task of an all day duty grinder anyway
I don't think that this is so. I find the "Grinder Creep" quite interesting, as now, it seems, only a Robur class grinder is good enough! Th SJ is a commercial grinder. Should do fine in this duty.
Scott
LMWDP #248

LukeFlynn

#24: Post by LukeFlynn replying to sweaner »

I was pretty blunt, I simply meant it was slow.. at least all of the ones I see out and about are.. Although I do say I am used to 5-6 second grind times so I'm spoiled.

Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#25: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to LukeFlynn »

I will agree that in a commercial setting it is slow. 11.5 seconds for 21 grams is SLOW when you're slammed. Only reason it worked well for me is because I'm in a business building where people have more time to wait than usual. Now with the k30 though I expect to see more people stop by due to the faster turn over. Or at least I can hope that's true ha
LMWDP #544

pumpkinscastle

#26: Post by pumpkinscastle »

There is no comparison between the SJ and the Robur or grinders with Robur-like burrs. And I don't care what the Titan grinder thread says.

I've been doing home espresso on a SJ for years. Great espresso! I learned with the SJ and I loved it. I never thought I would think otherwise. Then I got the HG one (which uses Robur burrs). Since I got that new grinder, I have touched the SJ exactly three times. Then I gave up. Aside from the deeper and more differentiated flavor profile, the Robur burrs offer greater repeatability and consistency. Once in a while I had those god shots with the Super Jolly. But then there were plenty that were "off." Not "off" in the sense of "undrinkable" but just not performing their best. I don't have those god shots all the time with my HG one but they're certainly more frequently. But then, the god shot includes another whole range of variables unrelated to the grinder.

And, I agree that the SJ is a commercial machine which should hold up fine if you use it for no more than 30 minutes out of an hour (so that the motor has time to cool down). Overheating the motor windings is the only real issue I'd see with a SJ in a super busy cafe environment. The SJ, however, WILL deliver in a coffee shop. 99% of your average coffee drinkers will never know the difference between it and a Robur, anyway. This is not to sound supercilious but it is, sadly, the truth.

The SJ is still a very capable grinder. But there are better grinders. As regards MK, I cannot chime in as I don't know much about them taste-wise. I can only imagine they're top-notch.