Mazzer Super Jolly E Calibration.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

So I have owned this grinder for over two years and I have had issues with it. Channeling even with WDT and so on. I recently bought new burrs but the grind quality was still lacking. I never paid any attention to calibration since I thought it was calibrated from the factory. So I decided to start from zero again. I took the burrs apart and cleaned them as well as the burr chamber. After 15mins it was like new on the inside.

I found this video
...and used it as a guide on how to calibrate the grinder. Just like in the video I found the point at which the burrs just start to make contact and moved just a hair clockwise to the zero point. In the video they say that is the point at which coffee will grind to its finest. I filled the hopper with beans and ran the grinder, but nothing would come out. I ran it for like 30secs and nothing. So I started very and I mean very slowly to rotate the adjustment collar clockwise(coarser) I ended up passing past the sticker with the arrows and then grinds started coming out, but they were too coarse. So I went back the other way counter clockwise(finer) about 1inch and the grind wouldn't change. Not even a little. Yes, I am running the grinder the hole time I am adjusting the adjustment collar.

Again, I removed the hopper, removed the burrs and found that a lot of big(coarse) coffee grinds had made their way under the burrs. It is my understanding that will significantly affect grind quality. But how did they get in there? The three screws that hold the burr in place were tighten really hard. I used a torque wrench calibrated at 35lbs of pressure to make sure all three screws were even. If I were to use anything more than 35lbs of pressure the screw driver would just slip.

This is what the lower burr carrier looked like a few minutes after I had cleaned it and ran the first beans through it. All that coffee somehow made it under the burrs.

What am I doing wrong?