Mazzer Super Jolly doser removal problem

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Happicup

#1: Post by Happicup »

Hi everyone.
I have just bought a Mazzer SJ with a manual doser.
I want to remove it and catch the grinds directly.

I've started taking it apart but I don't know how to proceed. I'm sure there are some hidden screws that I can't get to.

I've removed the two screws either side of the exit chute.

There is this black plastic thing holding the metal finger guard. It had a screw it in; I took it off; but it doesn't come off.

I've removed the star turning thing in side the doser hoping to find some hidden screws, but no.

I've removed the dosing handle which exposes more stuff underneath (see picture below). Looks like the counter mechanism, but there also seems to be some sort of cable - i don't know if it is electrical or mechanical.

I'm stuck and don't know what to do next to get this doser off. I would love some help.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I think this covers everything. It's been a while since I've gone thru it all, but it's a great resource.

http://sebastiaanswinkels.wordpress.com ... per-jolly/
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Happicup (original poster)

#3: Post by Happicup (original poster) »

Thanks for that. I actually looked through that article briefly before starting, but it didn't help.

You know what did help? I took a deep breath, calmed down, and started clean out the coffee at the bottom of the doser. It was for no reason really, but it uncovered the screws! The little buggers are vertical screws at the base of the doser, covered in coffee. See pic

iginfect

#4: Post by iginfect »

Without the doser, you'll need something like this to catch the grinds. http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_235
There are several threads on how to do it cheaper
Aluminum doserless mod for Mazzer Super Jolly
Mazzer Super Jolly (2-liter bottle) doserless modification

Marvin

#5: Post by Happicup (original poster) »

Hmm, I'm stuck again...

after removing those two screws hiding under the coffee grinds, I was able to remove the doser.

To my surprise, I was facing the internal parts of the machine: the motor. With bits of copper wire winding around all over the place. I felt in over my head, and had a sinking feeling. I quickly put the screws back in.

Once the danger was clear (wife asleep), I unscrewed it again.

The new problem I have is that there is a wire coming out of the machines innards, connected to the dose counter. I don't want to mess with electrical stuff and don't know what to do.

Anyone have an idea on this?

MrShades

#6: Post by MrShades »

Check this thread, which helped me when I removed the electrics from my SJ.

Mazzer Kony - removing doser microswitch instructions

Essentially, you now need to remove the base (you may need to feed the mains power lead through to assist in the base removal - depends how old your SJ is and whether the mains goes in through the side or base) and remove the wires from the multi-block connector that you'll find there.

One of the wires that you've exposed goes to the flap at the top of the doser - and IIRC you remove this one, but it's normally closed so have to get a small loop of wire to loop across the terminals that you've disconnected the wires from (see the Kony instructions). This flap stops the grinder when the doser is full (and the flap lifts).

The other wire goes to a microswitch in the bottom of the doser - and I simply removed the entire switch and refitted the doser without the switch or flap thing (which is what's required for clean single dosing). If you're removing the doser completely then simply track the wires back from the microswitch to the multi-block thing and remove the wires completely - no need to loop that one (again IIRC). Normally this microswitch is what's used to trigger the grinder to restart after every 10 doses (or however many it is).

So - take the bottom off, remove the wires that go to the doser and bridge the two that go to the flap switch with a small loop of wire.

Shades

#7: Post by Happicup (original poster) »

Thanks Shades. I can do that.

I will remove the doser completely.

I'm wondering if it is fine to use the machine without a backing plate? Are the exposed parts sensitive to debris? Do the exposed parts move?

pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou »

It doesn't move, and it won't really hurt to use it open. It's generally safer to close it though.
LMWDP #366

turtle

#9: Post by turtle »

Happicup wrote:Thanks Shades. I can do that.

I will remove the doser completely.

I'm wondering if it is fine to use the machine without a backing plate? Are the exposed parts sensitive to debris? Do the exposed parts move?

You will get some trash (grounds) inside the machine without a cover.

I ran my SJ with a piece of stiff cardboard (USPS mailing envelope cut to fit) held up by a tooth pick to cover the motor while I waited for the cover plate to arrive. Not very elegant but it worked :roll:

Cover plate is not very expensive and worth the time and effort to put on.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

#10: Post by Happicup (original poster) »

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I have successfully pulled it off. No pun intended. The doser and its annoying electrical entanglement is gone!

I'm normally completely useless with this kind of stuff, and felt really proud of myself for a moment. Then remembered that it really didn't take any skill or intelligence from my part at all: It was all thanks to the good people of home-barista.com and the internet.

Cheers!!