Mazzer Super Jolly conversion to doserless

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NickA

#1: Post by NickA »

I have recently bought a Super Jolly, after having had a large Anfim. The first thing I noticed was (as has been pointed out elsewhere) that it is very easy to spill grounds everywhere with the doser. I have now converted to doserless with an aluminum chute I made the bolts on in place of the doser. There were a number of things I wanted to achieve:

a) It should be easy to clean, and easy to use, and not spray grounds around the kitchen.
b) The mod should look good.
c) It shouldn't cause any permanent damage to the machine, so the doser can be reinstalled if required for resale.

As anyone who has made a doserless attachment for the Super Jolly will know, the front face of the grinder curves in one direction, and tapers in the other, so the attachment for the chute is a fairly finicky thing to make. In the end I hand-bandsaw-cut the back curves and then filed on the taper, and milled out the chute slot. This follows the splays of the existing chute, so it is pretty easy to clean.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I also removed the hopper and made a short aluminum adaptor that enlarges the bean chute to the diameter of the doser lid, so it looks quite smart. The result is the "Dalek" grinder. (Hopefully there are some Doctor Who fans out there)

If anybody is interested in seeing the result, I will post some photos.

Regards,
Nick

darrensandford

#2: Post by darrensandford »

Yes please, I am curious as to how it looks!

NickA (original poster)

#3: Post by NickA (original poster) »

Here are some pictures of the conversion. I have a new respect for photographers who can make an appliance look good ... my pictures make the aluminum chute look like it was cut with an axe ... (sigh)

The first picture show the overall grinder with doserless chute and cover to stop grounds flying out and to direct them into the classy tupperware holder below. This is supported on an aluminum disk taken out of an old 5.25 inch hard drive. This is secured by the bottom doser holding screws. The chute is secured on the top doser screws. It is all removable, should I want to sell the grinder, or upgrade to a less scratched one.

The second picture shows the aluminium adaptor ring to increase the capacity of the hopperless grinder. I can get about 5-6 shots worth of beans in it, and it takes the doser's lid to stop the beans jumping out.

The third picture shows the chute in cleaning position with the flap up. Easy access to get a brush in to clean out all grounds.

darrensandford

#4: Post by darrensandford »

Nice job! One of the neatest doserless conversions I have seen. I always wondered what to do with old broken hard disks!

That adaptor is a nice idea. You can keep just enough beans in to put some weight on the ones being ground but not have them go stale -and- it isnt too tall for words :)

NickA (original poster)

#5: Post by NickA (original poster) »

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the kind words. Do you like the natty cover plate to hide the now-exposed motor - cut from a black plastic ice-cream box lid? (just visible in photo 3)

boublanc

#6: Post by boublanc »

looks great , how is it with static? I've install a 2 ltr pop bottle on mine and I would love to get that static under control...

NickA (original poster)

#7: Post by NickA (original poster) »

It's pretty good with static; in my experience better than when I had the doser on. I get very minimal clumping.

Another very minor mod I made was to the upper burr holder. It has 3 flat-topped lugs that strengthen it where the screws for the burr are tapped in. These used to catch beans quite regularly. I thought of filing off the edges to prevent this, but it looked like a nasty job. In the end, I put a dab of epoxy on to each lug, creating an angle from the outer edge sloping in to the middle. I haven't had any islanded beans since.

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

Love the ability to "flap up" to clean out the chute!
No apology necessary for you work. Would that I could even get close to your excellent design.
Surprised you're not getting much static...maybe your humidity is a bit higher in your world?
We're about 30% here. Hot and dry. What say you.
Again, great job.

NickA (original poster)

#9: Post by NickA (original poster) »

Yeah, not sure about the lack of static; we're fairly high humidity, medium temperature here +-16-18 degrees C.

One of my earlier grinders was a Rancilio Rocky, and that was terrible for static, so I know how annoying it is to have the grounds being fluffy. With my current setup, I can just tap the flap in the closed position to get any grounds on the flap to fall off it into the plastic container, and then I get a faint 5 o'clock shadow of grounds on the container walls, but a tap or two will get that off as well.

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter »

Nick...I don't miss the "clack clack", and have been doing the "WDT" to break up the clumps.
My PeDe hand grinder is clumpless, but I have to really tighten it up to get a good pull, whereas my SJ has no such problem
High humidity (at least in the US of A) helps reduce static. Same there too, I'll wager. :lol: