Mazzer Robur - Bent Adjustment Collar

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
someguy12

#1: Post by someguy12 »

Hey guys,

Hope all is well :D

UPS just delivered a beast. A fully functional one with some tweaks required.

First of all, the adjustment collar got bent in previous shipping and is now locked in placed with what I assume is coffee locking the threads. I was wondering if there was any other way than putting it a vise grip? Is there anything I should be careful for/worried about?

Thanks in advance and have a great one,

JP

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

It's probably cross threaded. A fatal blow unfortunately.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

Looks like the entire grinder assembly shifted; press fitted to the shell.
http://www.cafeparts.com/productDetail5 ... 2&ItemID=0

someguy12 (original poster)

#4: Post by someguy12 (original poster) »

I will inspect further but in all cases I am screwed right?

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

Depends on exactly what the condition is.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

Wow, big difference looking at the picture on a real screen versus a cell phone. The upper burr carrier doesn't look crossthreaded, but jammed in extremely off axis.

I just took my Major completely apart 2 days ago. I know the structures are a little different for the conical vs flat, but I don't think you'll find an easy/affordable solution to the problem you have.

Years ago, I made the mistake of buying what looked like a great deal on a SJ on eBay. It came and it was clearly apparent that the burr mount was entirely, hopelessly cross threaded. I ended up getting my money back, because to repair it wouldn't make sense financially. So I sucked it up and bought one new.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

I would send this back for a refund.
Chris

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

someguy12 wrote:I will inspect further but in all cases I am screwed right?
Maybe not, but probably a job for the local machine shop.

Gman

#9: Post by Gman »

Yeah, I saw that listed and wondered about the claim re: the bent collar. I figured there was a reason they didn't do a close up and also to bend the collar would take a huge impact which meant damage somewhere else. I would see if you can find a serious espresso repair shop that offers grinder rebuilds. It may just need to have the motor reseated. I read here that people have had success rebuilding their SJ's and Major's by putting them in the oven (disassembled of course!) at 200F and waiting till the case heats up and the motor drops out. I don't know if that would work here.
Keep us posted.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

OldNuc wrote:Depends on exactly what the condition is.
Exactly. Unscrew the adjustment collar & tear it down. If the collar won't move soak the exposed threads with penetrating oil & let it soak down through over night. Even if a part of the casting got broken off you could have it welded. Certainly worth your time to figure it out if you can't easily return the grinder.
LMWDP 267