Mazzer Mini with Super Jolly burrs vs. actual Super Jolly?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nate42

#1: Post by Nate42 »

So, this recent thread Mazzer Super Jolly burrs/carriers on 58mm Mini? got me thinking about the possibility of modifying my own mini in the same fashion.

My question is, does anyone who has done this (or the more common SJ burrs on a mini-E mod) have experience with comparing the modified grinder to an actual super jolly? Does the motor of the super jolly run at the same speed as the mini? (I'm guessing not). I'm also guessing that continuous usage with the SJ burrs could cause premature wear (probably due to overheating) on the mini motor, but that this probably isn't a concern with normal low duty cycle home usage.

I ask, because the mini is basically the largest grinder I can fit under my cabinets, so my upgrade options are limited. The idea of what is basically a super jolly in the mini package is very appealing. I could probably fit something larger if I went without a hopper, but this would annoy me, and - more importantly - annoy my wife even more.

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Can you not fit an SJ without a hopper? If so, you can single dose.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Grind quality shall be a lot better and better tasting espresso. The motor will not be damaged unless you'll be using it continuous. For normal home usage there are no problems with the conversion.