Mazzer Mini newbie question about doserless conversion

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
the_art_of_design

#1: Post by the_art_of_design »

Hi everyone. I purchased a new to me MM on HB a few weeks back and it arrived as described this week. I was playing with it this AM and have a few questions regarding a doserless conversion it came with.

The screen covering the output chute; is this an OEM part only meant for the stock doser (it has mazzer stamped on it)? It seems to impede 3-4 grams of ground coffee from entering the doserless funnel/ being being output from the grinder. It also appears to be held in place by the doser gasket. If it is meant to be there, do other MM owners have to eject the stale coffee prior to grinding a new single or double? My experience with grinders thus far with with a Breville smart grinder...

My question I guess is what does this screen do for me and is it in fact helping or hindering me?

Lastly, if I continue with the doserless conversion, does it hurt me to have 2 gaskets between the funnel and body (old one is installed on machine and new one came on body of funnel)? I guess if I find coffee getting stuck between the body of the machine and the funnel that would answer my question?

Thank you!

the_art_of_design (original poster)

#2: Post by the_art_of_design (original poster) »

Ok, some more reading on lunch today. This post covers everything I'm after quite well. It's an anti static screen, likely from a larger Mazzer added to combat the static build-up normally experienced with the doserless conversion.

Mazzer Doserless Static Problems

The trade off of purging a few grams of stale coffee every time seems to be the nature of the beast if using the anti static screen with the doserless conversion... Well, now I know.

I'll report back my experience with this after using it awhile.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

But, I don't believe you can use the two gaskets because that will upset the geometry of the conversion. So, go very lightly when tightening the hex head screws that hold the funnel in place and you may get by with using some nylon washers between the screw threads and the grinder body.

You definitely do not want to distort the funnel.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

When I converted my SJ from a can doser to a time based funnel doser I used it with and without the astat screen while waiting for all of the parts to arrive.

Mazzer electronic doser kits

I found the dose to be much more consistent with the screen in the chute.

As far as cleaning. I don't clean it out between usage on a daily basis but I will stick a vacuum cleaner hose in the top of the grinder to suck out as much of the old grounds as I can if I do not use it every day. This seems to keep it clean enough between take down and cleaning maintenance.

I've been using the SJ as a doserless grinder for about 2 years now and it is still extremely consistent (.1-.2 gram max change between doses).

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

HeadshotCoffee

#5: Post by HeadshotCoffee »

Nice thread. I prefer to remove the antistatic screen from the throat of the Mazzer. At home I like to start with it completely clean by clearing it with a butter knife (saves wastage and having a couple of grams of stale coffee in your basket)