Mazzer Mini how old it is

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kidloco

#1: Post by kidloco »

Hi,

i just bought Mazzer Mini for 130 EUR :). Here is picture with serial. Somebody told me that first 2 digits are year of production? Is it possible that this mazzer is 15 years old? It looks nearly perfect. If it means something it has two peace power switch not circle one. Something like this http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Mazzer ... -p4175.htm

Will post some more pictures of a grinder tonight... Did I made a mistake :? Burrs also look in pretty good condition...

edit: definitly looks like this

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

The first two digits give you the year on the SJ & Major so I would imagine it's the same for the Mini.
LMWDP 267

kidloco (original poster)

#3: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Pfuuu I can not believe it. If it is 1998 then it is so old but it looks as new... will post some pictures tonight. What can I test on that old grinder... I mean if it is working it is working, right?

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

Mazzer's are known for being bullet proof. Depending on where and how it was used it could very well be in pretty good shape. My mini isn't nearly THAT old, but its been used daily for 6 years and the main body of the grinder has no obvious external wear at all. Wipe the coffee off it and it looks brand new. The plastic hopper has some discoloration and scratches, but those can be replaced.

kidloco (original poster)

#5: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

well this looks to be nice purchase after all :lol: I am cleaning it now and burrs are really in good shape (guy who sold it to me said that burrs are changed 3 months ago and that he used grinder at home, so this sounds about right), and first impression after I first turned it on was "omg how quiet it is!!!" So from Gaggia MDF this is going to be huge jump I think!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

That style doser dates it into the 1990s. The SJ & Major switched to the newer all stainless/polished style around 1995 but changes seem to come later to the Mini line.
LMWDP 267

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

doesnt the current generation also have a timer switch rather than a toggle?
LMWDP #366

JmanEspresso

#8: Post by JmanEspresso »

yes. they did away with the lovely on/off toggle in favor of the timer switch for, "safety" reasons.