Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly burrs... still happy ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Finsternis83

#1: Post by Finsternis83 »

Hi all,

I'm new in the espresso world and just bought a R58 and a Mazzer Mini E type A.
I find this grinder quite slow and would like to know if the people who switched the stock burrs with SJs are still happy with this modification.
I'm ready to invest a few more euros if it's worth it...
Thanks a lot for your answers.

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

Certainly still happy, although most of my grinding is done with a HG one. I break out the Mini E + SJ when we are hosting large parties.
LMWDP #602

Nate42

#3: Post by Nate42 »

I never got around to actually doing this with my mini, since I had the dosered type and would have had to buy or modify carriers too, rather than just dropping in new burrs.

Still, I did some research into the subject, and everybody I talked to thought it was a great upgrade.

Velomane

#4: Post by Velomane »

Well, I added SJ burrs to my Mini-E about six months and I am quite happy with the change. The grinds just might be a little fluffier than before. What is certain, though, is that grinding is faster, and my sleeping family is grateful for that.

ecuew

#5: Post by ecuew »

I installed the SJ burrs and went back to the original ones a week later. Every 2-3 days I like to vacuum out the chute and have found that doing so encourages stalling with the SJ burrs unless I vacuum with the burrs turning. I was worried about damaging the grinder.

Engraver

#6: Post by Engraver »

I installed Super Jolly burrs in my Mazzer Mini doserless about a month ago. Maybe the grind is a bit fluffier but I'm not certain. It now grinds nearly twice as fast and there's no evidence of stalling or additional strain on the motor. I'm very happy with burr swap and can definitely recommend it based on my experience.

chopinhauer

#7: Post by chopinhauer »

Engraver wrote:I installed Super Jolly burrs in my Mazzer Mini doserless about a month ago. Maybe the grind is a bit fluffier but I'm not certain. It now grinds nearly twice as fast and there's no evidence of stalling or additional strain on the motor. I'm very happy with burr swap and can definitely recommend it based on my experience.
OK, it grinds faster, and might produce fluffier grinds, but is the flavour any different/better?
LMWDP #027

Engraver

#8: Post by Engraver replying to chopinhauer »

I don't taste any difference in flavor. The stock burrs are fine. The only benefit I see is speed. As for the fluffiness, I can't confirm that. It seems less clumpy, but I have no way of doing a side-by-side comparison to be certain.

DeanOelsch

#9: Post by DeanOelsch »

I am not keen on changing to Sj burrs after how long it took to season my standard burrs. That said, with that stupid wire grid at the bottom of the chute, the slower the grinds come out, the more they seem to come out as little squares and tend to clump. I can only assume that faster grinds = less little blocks = less clumping = much fluffier grind.

My MAIN annoyance with the Mini is with my 21g basket, I have to grind about 24g just for the mound to be high enough that allows me to dose properly with my hand.

On that note, if these standard blades don't get quicker I will change soon... It takes me about 30 seconds to get 21g-24g