Mazzer Mini E owners: To WDT or not?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.

Mazzer Mini E owners: Do you use the Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT)?

Yes
48%
No
45%
Other (explain)
6%

Total votes: 31

japa_fi

#1: Post by japa_fi »

I recently acquired Mazzer Mini E (doserless) as an upgrade to my Demoka Minimoka M203. Expectations were high in regards to grind results and cleanliness (=no static). Unfortunately, I've been disappointed to the results:
Channeling, clumping, etc. everything but easy making of delicious drinks. With my 1 week experience, there has always been clumping, except when the wire grid was removed. That produced nice grind results, no clumping etc. Just that the static was a real killer. Looked like a bag of coffee was torn open on the table: ground coffee everywhere! So I put the grid back on. Unfortunately, I'm yet to achieve constant results :(
With minimoka it was enough that I leveled the grinds with knife, with Mazzer grinds are denser coming out. 16.5 grams with mazzer doesn't allow for leveling with knife.

Here comes the questions: Is WDT _mandatory_ with mazzer mini e to get acceptable results (even distribution)?
How many of you do not do WDT with Mazzer?

seacliff dweller

#2: Post by seacliff dweller »

japa_fi wrote:I recently acquired Mazzer Mini E (doserless) as an upgrade to my Demoka Minimoka M203. Expectations were high in regards to grind results and cleanliness (=no static). Unfortunately, I've been disappointed to the results: Channeling, clumping, etc. everything but easy making of delicious drinks.
i just bought a mazzer mini doser model and converted to a doserless with a $2.50 conversion (see my post under $2.50 conversion) and had no problem with clumping and no static. I have a solis grinder also and it was causing a lot of static, the unit is not grounded and i added a ground wire and grounded the base of the rotating motor shaft and the static went away- just like that. i am not aware of any potential issues by grounding the shaft, so check before you do anything

Brownie

#3: Post by Brownie »

I have the Mazzer Mini E....tried different dosing/distribution methods...but never REALLY have a problem with clumping. Now just gifted myself a Reg Barber Tamper....now i only dose and wiggle...then tamp. And my bottomless PF never looked better ;-)

japa_fi (original poster)

#4: Post by japa_fi (original poster) »

Just an update to this thread.
My recent experiences haven't been such catastrophic ones. After cleaning the grounds that were stuck before the grid, I've got better results. I think that when I was adjusting the grinder for the first time I went way too fine. All those extra fine grounds were accumulated and stuck before the grid, leaving very narrow hole where grounds were dispensed. That resulted in very bad clumping.

Brownie

#5: Post by Brownie »

I have also grounds accumulating there - I guess all MM Mini E owners have that :( - I am vacuuming once a week.

Came to think of, that in the manual it is stated, that adjusting the grinder should be done with the motor on. Could that have a connection to the grid-thing?

blu

#6: Post by blu »

hello,
I use the sj (which afaik has the same burrs as the mini e) and the robur. I do the WDT only (but always) using the sj, imo it's necessary.
cari saluti blu

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

narc

#8: Post by narc »

I've been using a doser version of the Mini for a number of years. Even with this model some days require use of WDT to eliminate extraction problems. Rapidly pulling on the doser lever and gentle portafilter taps while grinding usually prevents clumping. But then there are those days when something is out of order resulting in WDT time.

Just my opinion, but WDT should not be needed if your dose, grind, distribution & tamp technique is on. Assuming your grinder is of reasonable quality. Considering that there are more days where I don't have to utilize WDT than employing WDT. I put the problem on me vs. the hardware.
LMWDP #151