Mazzer Mini E burrs - Does replacing with Super Jolly burrs make a difference?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
docjoe

#1: Post by docjoe »

I have been trying to do my research. From what I gather, both the Super Jolly and the Mini E have 64mm burrs and some people have changed the Mini E's burrs for the Super Jolly. I have been considering this upgrade. I know it is a relatively cheap upgrade but had some questions that I could not seem to find on a search.

I am looking to get better quality from the grinder and possibly more consistent grind with less clumping.

I wanted to see if I could get input from those who have made the change to the SJ burrs on their Mini E. I was looking to get answers on:

1. Grind quality? I believe this is improved from the searches that I have done
2. Longevity on the Mini E? does this affect the performance of the Mini E detrimentally
3. Any other comments regarding the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Joe

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I've not tried this modification, so I cannot confirm/refute claims of an improvement in grind quality. Difference between Mazzer Mini E burrs and Super Jolly burrs? explains the difference between the two burr sets (in a nutshell, the Mini E burrs have less aggressive burr grabbing cuts). In Installing Mazzer Super Jolly burrs in a standard issue Mini, Jonny reported noteworthy results:
jonny wrote:I just wanted to add a +1 to this mod and if kitchen real estate is top dollar, consider a mini, buying a used sj for the carriers and burrs, and selling the rest for parts. Not a bad deal and used minis are generally in better condition than used super jollies!
But that was moving from the Mini's 58mm burrs to the Super Jolly's 64mm burrs. I don't recall clear-cut testimonials for the Mini E burrs (64mm, part #189D) to Super Jolly burrs (64mm, part #33M).
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
gyro

#3: Post by gyro »

They fit right in, straight swap on a Mini-E. There have been concerns about less power on the Mini-E to drive them. IIRC the Mini-E is 250w and the SJ 350w, however older SJs were reportedly 250w. I never had any stalling issues when I swapped them out on mine in the year or two I used it in that manner.

Possepat

#4: Post by Possepat »

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this mod. Can anyone speak to clumping changes for better or worse? That has been my main issue with my Mini E(B).
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

Marco80

#5: Post by Marco80 »

I think clumping improves slightly, the grind seems fluffier to me. But then the main issue regarding clumping on the mini is that damn grid and that stays the same with the jolly burrs. If you remove the grid, the static issue will increase than with the mini-burrs since the jolly burrs are much faster...

Possepat

#6: Post by Possepat »

Marco,

So did you remove your grid and install the SJ burrs? I often wondered if there would be any merit in removing the grid and then grounding the funnel cone.

LMWDP #365

MVendi81

#7: Post by MVendi81 »

There seems to be a renewed interest in this mod lately :D

After a short period of contemplation, I finally went ahead and did this, and have been running SJ burrs (#33M) in my Mini E for about a month now. So far, I've had no issues whatsoever with stalling, and have experienced a rather noticeable decrease in clumping (my grid is also still in place).

Aside from grinding about 6-7 seconds faster for an 18g double, I've also noticed a fluffier, more uniform grind, resulting in more even, centered extractions, requiring less of the "rain dance" prep routine that I had been going through with the old burr set (overly-meticulous WDT).

As far as longevity is concerned, I too have wondered about this...in fact, it was one of the very things that held me back from doing the mod initially. I guess only time will tell, but for now, just going by ear I can say I haven't been able to note any signs of the motor struggling. Of course, the minimal workload I've been imposing upon this grinder on a daily basis (2 or 3 shots, spread apart by several hours), gives me hope that I'll be trucking along just fine for at least a little while longer :D

I wish I had an actual SJ, so I could do some side-by-side taste testing, but with regards to improvement in the cup, this mod does seem favorable. That is, in comparison to the original burrs, there now seems to be a little less "hard edge" to my espressos.

Advertisement
docjoe (original poster)

#8: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

So apart from Grind Quality improving, the overall grind speed is improved? That's heartening!
Cheers!

Joe

MVendi81

#9: Post by MVendi81 »

docjoe wrote:So apart from Grind Quality improving, the overall grind speed is improved?
This is the one thing we can say with absolute certainty :D

Possepat

#10: Post by Possepat »

This looks promising and I feel encouraged! I can't see the aggressiveness of the burr imparting undue stress to the motor. 64mm flats ---> 64mm flats. STOKED!

Update: Ordered SJ 33M burrs from online auction site. Now to wait patiently. If it equates to any noticeable cup quality or efficiency in my routine (tired of clumping/WDT) It'll be well worth it.

LMWDP #365