Mazzer Mini - capacity without hopper?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RufusTF

#1: Post by RufusTF »

Here's a serious problem: I would like to use Mazzer Mini, but it is too tall with a hopper on (does not fit under the cupboards). Without the hopper it is only 30cm tall, which is good enough. The question is how many grams of coffee one can put directly in the grinder (topped with, say, a tamper to prevent popcorning) without the hopper on. Any chance of fitting around 20 grams in?

RTF

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

I don't know exactly, but 20 grams will fit. I think I get around 25 grams at the brim. I use a hopper though, so maybe someone who single doses can give you a more exact number with a tamper added. Of course it will vary by beans. Darker roasts will be larger volume and lower mass than very light roasts like I use.

Note: I use a super jolly, but the throat is the same.

EDIT: It just so happened that I had one dose left in the hopper. It was 19 grams and still had a good 1/2" of space.

Also if you can fit a tamper in there, you should also be able to get away with a canning funnel as a hopper since it seems to come up as high as a tamper sticks out. Not sure if you'd have room to scoop beans in though.

iginfect

#3: Post by iginfect »

I have ground 23 gms. which was over the top but kept in place with a tamper. 20 gms. should be no problem.

Marvin

objective1

#4: Post by objective1 »

you may have already gotten enough of an answer but I have a mini e. I routinely make single shots, and actually use the black slider in the hopper to tell me where to fill the grinder. I get a 21 gram grind, still have some coffee left over in throat so that popcorning is minimal. so your plan should work.

BTW FWIW i'm setting up to do the same thing with a K10 fresh I just figure i'll take the short hopper off an on when I need to grind. since the short hopper version won't fit under my cabinet either but the grinder without the hopper will.

stinkyonion

#5: Post by stinkyonion »

Why not just by the short hopper. I did, works great. Now it is like 17 inches tall and fits under the cabinets.

jasonmolinari

#6: Post by jasonmolinari »

I regularly put 30g I use for drip in my mazzer and 42 will fit but you'll have to hold the tamper or it'll fall off/over.

berkinet

#7: Post by berkinet »

You can also cut the bottom off a small Dixie or plastic cup and use the cup as a mini-hopper.